Need a heavy duty drill.

Old 04-02-19, 07:03 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a heavy duty drill.

Hello, Can anybody help me find a heavy duty drill.

I am looking for something that can take a 1'' Bosch auger and drill through 2-5 4x4s, stacked one atop the other and about 60 holes in a setting without burning up.

I need it to cost under $100 dollars. Maybe work the pawn shops? Also can someone please help explain to me what makes one drill more powerful than another.

Thanks.

Last edited by nothernug; 04-02-19 at 08:05 PM. Reason: made a mistake
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-19, 07:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
I need it to cost under $100 dollars.
ha ha, yeah that would be nice.

Your only hope in that price range is Harbor Freight (1/2" heavy duty spade handle drill) and there is no telling how long the service life of the tool might be. And no telling how soon it will get hot. The higher the amps, the more powerful a motor will be. And the quailty of every single part is what makes a tool expensive... it all adds up. If you want a tool that will give you a long problem free service life, you'll pay for it.

Old 04-02-19, 08:15 PM
N
Thank You for that info. I thought higher amps meant more power.

B.

Old 04-02-19, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,036 Votes on 960 Posts
The HD drills from Harbor are like $55. You may need two of them to complete that job.
I have one of the right angle Bauers. It would take that punishment. Buy it with one of their 25% off coupons.

HD right angle drill

Old 04-03-19, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 595 Votes on 549 Posts
I have always used a Milwaukee Hole Hog but they are nowhere close to $100. I have tried using a cheap HF drill similar and it sorta worked. Even though the amp rating of the HF drill is higher than the Milwaukee it had nowhere near the same power but could work. You might need to drill and pull the bit out to clear chips if the drill starts to bog down. Make sure you use the side pipe handle for extra leverage. A drill that powerful can fight back.

Old 04-03-19, 05:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 180 Posts
The key to drilling the holes is using the right type of cutter. I use the Bosch Daredevil spade bits (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Da...5010/203274429) to drill through wood. These have a screw tip that pulls itself through the wood. Just be careful not to hit any nails. You want to use a low RPM for these bits.

With a high torque, low-speed drill, any drill will work. For just a few holes I will use my cordless drill on the low setting. The big orange store has good name brand tools (Dewalt, Milwaukee, Rigid) for $100-120 that have two batteries charger and one or two tools. IMO this is your best option: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...9602/205762719

You will not burn up these tools, you will just be switching batteries often. And even if you do burn them up, they have a lifetime warranty.

Old 04-03-19, 05:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
One time job? If so, renting a big-a$$ drill might be feasible.

Old 04-03-19, 06:09 AM
N
Well this is something how many folks replied to this in such a short time.

It is not a one time job, I'm making planter boxes to sell. I hear you about the Harbour Freight drill, but man if I can avoid that I'd really prefer it.

Does anybody have any opinion on some of the old drills like you would get on Ebay.

IE, Sears heavy duty, Black and Decker professional, THOR. The ones with the all steel casing and spade grips.

It looks like they tend to run only about 4amps and 5-600 RPM, but do they have the torque?

Old 04-03-19, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
I refer back to the Rigid kit I posted earlier. For $120 it is a good set and I used it on the job for many years. I have no complaints about its performance. The impact gun will be great for driving screws for your planter boxes as well.

For drilling through planter boxes (I assume for drain holes) you may want a hole saw. regular spade bit, or Forstner bit. They will drill a cleaner hole

Old 04-03-19, 06:43 AM
H
Received 88 Votes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by northernug
I am looking for something that can take a 1'' Bosch auger and drill through 2-5 4x4s, stacked one atop the other and about 60 holes in a setting without burning up.

I need it to cost under $100 dollars.
Eh, your best bet to stay on budget would be a $65 HF drill press, a $9 HF Forstner bit set, and a $25 "name brand" 1" Forstner bit.

Rather than drill through 20" of 4x4, I'd setup a jig so that all the drill holes are in register.

A drill press with a 5" range of motion would be useful, but I've found that drilling and flipping over, or drilling and then adding a 2x4spacer works for a drill press that only has a 2" range of motion...

Last edited by Hal_S; 04-03-19 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 06:47 AM
Group Moderator
That is a good idea Hal a drill press will also give a good straight hole. For that look for a good used one on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or pawn shop.

Old 04-03-19, 08:26 AM
H
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand

hat is a good idea Hal a drill press will also give a good straight hole. For that look for a good used one on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, or pawn shop.
I've got one of these little HF drill presses, very useful for accurate or precise (or both) drilling that few people can do with hand held tools, unless you are a modern Giotto. See Giotto, in Giorgio Vasari, Lives of the Artists, trans. George Bull, Penguin Classics, (1965), p15-36

OP, good instinct about stacking the lumber FIRST, and then drilling through SECOND, but I'm curious whether you included having to triple-drill holes at the corners?

-edit-
Assuming the finished product is something like this-

You need one set of holes to anchor the corners, then ANOTHER set of holes to anchor the left-side lumber that doesn't reach the corner, and ANOTHER set of holes to anchor the right-side lumber that doesn't reach the corner.

Last edited by Hal_S; 04-03-19 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 09:45 PM
N
Yeah, That's what our boxes look like. We stack them up peg each layer to each other, then put a couple of big long pegs through the hole thing.

Old 04-03-19, 09:52 PM
N
Hears a crazy thought.

Hears a crazy thought. How about taking the motor of a small drill press and turning it into a hand held drill.

Old 04-03-19, 11:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,036 Votes on 960 Posts
Yes..... you're right...... crazy thought.

Old 04-04-19, 06:11 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
A job like this all about feed rate. Your basic $99 battery drill from any of the big box stores can do it in low speed/high torque mode; it will just take longer because you need to use a less aggressive bit, can't take as big of chips and you'll need to stop and clear the hole. If you want to feed these things through one right after the other all day like an assembly line you'll need a big drill press in the $1,000 range for the pre-assembly and something like a hilti or milwaukee for the big corner bores. Every other drill on the market is going to fall somewhere in there, just a matter of how much time and duty cycle you have to complete the job.

How about taking the motor of a small drill press and turning it into a hand held drill.
I'd like to see the ER docs try to figure out how that happened...

Old 04-04-19, 06:19 AM
H
Yeah, That's what our boxes look like. We stack them up peg each layer to each other, then put a couple of big long pegs through the hole thing.
Then I'd definitely go with the drill press a Forstner bit and a jig.
Instead of drilling straight through multiple 4x4s, I'd consider ship-lapping them-
use 1" pegs to hold each row to the row below. Mark out on 16" or 19.2" centers, depending on the length of the planter sides.

Old 04-04-19, 06:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
I think he would have a hard time finding a drill press with a stroke long enough to drill through all 5 4x4s at once. That is how he does it.

Old 04-05-19, 10:33 AM
N
Well here's what I did.

The other day the old Black and Decker burned out, LITERALLY.

So needing a drill we broke down and got the harbor freight heavy duty and heavy duty spade grip drills.

I was really impressed with the spade grip drill it had the torque to really get it done. Then this morning the chuck screw broke, not an uncommon problem from what I here.

So it went back for an exchange and am now looking for a better screw, to replace it with when we get it.

So we'll see how this turns out.

Old 04-05-19, 10:37 AM
N
Hey you're talking to the guy who wanted to turn his snapper riding mower into a forklift, and has been wondering if he could make a snow blower a stump grinder.

Old 04-05-19, 07:35 PM
H
Originally Posted by ibpooks
Hey you're talking to the guy who wanted to turn his snapper riding mower into a forklift, and has been wondering if he could make a snow blower a stump grinder.
Well, along that line of thought, I CAN highly recommend adding an "air drill" to the tool drawer if you have an big compressor.

Given the incredible low speed torque you get from air tools, I HAVE wondered whether anybody has ever been crazy enough to make an air-powered drill press.

And yes, when drilling through 100 year old barn rafters, I HAVE mounted a spade bit to an impact wrench.
The results are breath taking - but if it jams, it WILL toss you right off a step ladder...

Old 04-05-19, 08:24 PM
N
And yes, when drilling through 100 year old barn rafters, I HAVE mounted a spade bit to an impact wrench.
The results are breath taking - but if it jams, it WILL toss you right off a step ladder...
I tried an air drill, but it just didn't have enough guts.

P.S.
And they thought the ER docs would be shocked to see me