Coleman Compressor

Old 05-17-19, 08:47 PM
Coleman Compressor

Greetings all, new here and I'd like to ask a question to see if anybody could help me. Although I've got a big vertical 2-stage compressor in the garage an old Sears 20-gallon 220 volt in the basement for running my woodworking air tools, I have an opportunity to buy a new older model Coleman 20-gallon compressor. This is a 5 horse 115-volt direct-drive oilless Coleman Powermate. It's brand new with the tags on it just a little dirty. I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea I want this compressor sold for new. The guy wants 200 for it and most of the compressors I find closely resembling this unit retail for between five and six hundred dollars. I want to do some painting down at the Boatyard and although I could jerry-rigged 220 down there for a compressor this 115 volt would work easier and it will just barely handle my HVLP spray gun. I know it will cycle alot but it's not a big job. Thanks if anyone can help me figure out what the retail cost was. I'm going to try and post some pictures... Thank you in advance... Bruce

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-19, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Many compressors come with a "5hp" motor. If it were a true 5hp you could not run it on 120v as it would require well over 20A. Better check what it draws before you buy it to make sure you can get enough power to it.

The only similar one I could find without a supplied model number is this one and it says 120v but 1.9hp motor....

20 Gallon Powermate Oil Free Direc Drive Air Compressor
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...02012/p10.html

Old 05-18-19, 01:52 AM
Thank you for responding. I agree with what you're saying about the 1.9 horsepower because the old 20-gallon 220 volt Sears compressor that's down in my basement (circa 1972) was always used with a non- HVLP spray gun and it always ran constantly, heck my two stage 80 gallon compressor in the garage even gets a decent workout with the regular HVLP Sharpe spray gun. The information that you shared was the same I could find but nothing more. Also, many Coleman Powermate compressors can be wired either way such was the case with the 20-gallon Sears compressor that we chose to run on a 220 line. That's why these forms are so helpful because I should have realized like you did the true 5 horsepower would not run on 110.... Thank you again... Bruce

Old 05-18-19, 03:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I wouldn't own an oil less compressor because they are too noisy although in your situation that might not be a big deal. Your Sears unit should be able to be wired for 240 or 120 volt. I'd be inclined to rewire it and use it instead.