Hammer Drill Bits

Old 05-18-19, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hammer Drill Bits

I finally invested in a hammer drill (Skil 1/2 with standard 3-prong chuck). It's been working great and I love it.

But it's time to get some bigger bits. I need to run two 1/2" PVC conduit through a stone and brick wall. I figured I'd get a 7/8" drill bit, but they are all SDS bits. Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW5816.../dp/B00004RHEO

I know an SDS bit technically doesn't work in a standard chuck, but will it work well enough to get through? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-19, 02:24 PM
They might work, sort of, for smaller bits, but for that size, unless you have further need, the best bet is probably to rent one.

Old 05-20-19, 06:03 AM
The 7/8" bit will need a reduced diameter shank to fit your 1/2" chuck.

Old 05-20-19, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Good luck using a hammer drill with that size bit. It's really a case of too small a tool. You can look into renting a rotary hammer which is the next step up in size from a hammer drill and will have an SDS or HDS chuck that can handle larger bits. If you're not doing too much consider bits from Harbor Freight or other inexpensive tool suppliers.

Old 05-21-19, 11:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Urgh, I guess that makes sense. I was looking at rotary hammers a few months ago for a small concrete project (adding a bigger drain in a concrete driveway). I guess it would be a worthwhile investment.

Do you think something like this would work (realizing it's a cheaper alternative from a $200-300 name-brand quality tool)
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-18-i...kit-64288.html

Old 05-21-19, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
I generally prefer a horizontal/inline motor style more as I can get it into tighter locations though it makes the tool longer overall. HF's version is considerably less powerful that the one you linked though so if you're going to be drilling big holes or busting up some concrete you may want to stick with the one you linked. The more powerful, heavier tool will definetely bore bigger holes much better.