air compressor and SCFM rating

Old 07-07-19, 02:50 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
air compressor and SCFM rating

I have been using a framing nailer with my compressor for several years.
Compressor just died and i am trying to find a compressor that will power the nailer.
I just realized the nailer is rated for SCFM 10 at 90 psi and the compressor was rated at 3.5 at 90 psi.
I thought a 10 wouldn't run on a 3.5.
Do i need a SCFM 10 compressor or is it ok to use another 3.5 compressor.
I use it as a homeowner. Remodeling on weekends so it doesn't get constant use like a pro would use it.

Last edited by xfrank12; 07-07-19 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-19, 04:15 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
You should be fine with the smaller compressor. The 10 cfm rating is under commercial construction usage. Where you may "shoot" maybe ten nails per minute at most a commercial usage may be shooting one hundred.

Old 07-07-19, 04:34 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I concur with Furd in thinking the nailer is rated for harder use than you demand. Homeowners buy a lot of pneumatic nailers these days, and I don't know the statistics, but think of all of the contractors using these tools, as well as shops where prefab homes and sheds, pallets, crates, and lots of other things are built. And a lot of that wood in pallets and crates is that hard gnarly stuff that really puts a nailer to task. In contrast most of the rest of us are pecking with them, so we're not going to require the volume. Not to mention the fact that you've already proven you don't need any more than what you had so may as well keep it within reason.

Old 07-09-19, 03:31 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you.
I thought the SCFM rating on the nailer was a minimum requirement.
Which is why i was confused.

Old 07-10-19, 02:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 156 Posts
The CFM requirement is what the tool needs to operate BUT you aren't operating a nailer continuously. A grinder/sander might require less CFM but needs it constantly. Your air tank helps to make up the difference. The worst that can happen is the air flow becomes diminished and you have to wait for the compressor to catch up .... and that is rarely a problem with a nail gun.