AC motor slotted shaft adapter

Old 07-13-19, 06:10 PM
AC motor slotted shaft adapter

So I have a carbonator motor (AC) pretty much the same as the one in the link below. I want to repurpose it, but it has a slotted shaft, and I cant find an adapter for this online, but Iím not super familiar with electric motors.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can adapt this type of shaft to a normal shaft where I could put a sprocket or pulley wheel on it?

https://www.cshincorporated.com/6080-carbonator-pump-single-phase-odp-split-phase-1-2-hp/

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-19, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 5
To my knowledge no such thing exists.
A carbonator motor is fairly specialized and in addition to the slotted shaft it will have a raised collar on the shaft end to attach the pump.
There is no practical use for that motor for an adapter to be made.

Old 07-14-19, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the response Greg and I donít doubt your likely correct. I know itís a specialized motor it was being used for a mosquito misting system I have. But itís still a motor, with power/torque that can be harnessed. I know there may not be a designated coupling for this shaft, but that doesnít mean thereís not a way to couple to it.

I have some ideas that may work, but I was poking around for other. I may also change the shaft out but Iíd rather not.

Old 07-14-19, 09:35 AM
Upvotes Received: 21
The cost of a custom adapter (1 time) use should be compared to the cost of a standard shaft motor that meets your need. Good luck.

Old 07-14-19, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
I may also change the shaft out but I’d rather not.
The shaft is not replaceable ........ the entire armature is.

Old 07-14-19, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
You simply can't slap on an adapter for a sprocket or pulley as there is nothing to support that shaft. If you had the tools (lathe, mill...) and materials you could make a shaft supported by bearings and an adapter to couple to the slotted shaft of the motor. Then you'd have a long, clunky motor system and a fair bit of cost invested either in money or time. Consider that motors with more useful shafts can be found for free by the side of the road in old washing machines, furnaces, air conditioners...