Mothballed Air Compressor

I purchased a Craftsman air compressor in 2005:

Model: 919.167320
2 hp
33 gallons
Vertical
Permanently lubricated
Single stage.

It has been in storage since about 2007. There have been various storage conditions since then. It has been stored in NC, WI, NY, and now Michigan. None of these units were climate controlled.

I'm trying to put it back in service and I 'd like some advice on what I should look out for when getting it back to safe operating order. This will be used to run paint guns a few times per week.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-19, 11:13 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
A quick google search of the parts diagram shows there really isn't much maintenance parts on this unit.
The best I can say is remove the shrowed and give it a good visual, maybe clean out with compressed air (I know, axe and bucket), and check the power cord for any damage.
Other than that, loosen the air bleeder screw on the bottom of the tank and start it up. With the screw open, you should be able to blow out any water that may have accumulated in the tank over time.

Old 08-12-19, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great, that was the kind of stuff that I was looking for. I imagined a pool of rusty gunk in the tank.

Thanks for the fast reply!

Old 08-12-19, 11:21 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Just keep a close eye on it the first time you fire it up with valve open, and then with the valve closed. Make sure it turns off at the proper PSI and doesn't get stuck open.

Old 08-12-19, 03:47 PM
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
"Gunk" in an air compressor tank is definitely a bad thing, but it stems from an air compressor running, taking in roughly 8 cfm for every 1 cfm of compressed air it produces, and the moisture that is squeezed out of it laying in the tank. But given that this compressor has sat unused for 10 years, the pressure and humidity have equalized, so it's really not much different than a raw unpainted piece of steel stored in the same manner. Yes, you may get some chunks out, but they are the result of whatever was in there drying and solidifying, and the fact that the tank setting for that long, assuming it had been drained on a regular basis when it was in use, should not be detrimental. Otherwise, being an oil-less unit, as Mike said, not much more to do than fire it up and see what you have.

Old 08-13-19, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That makes sense, thanks for the response! We'll see what we have lurking in the tank this weekend.