Tools for Removing A Very High Bandboard Attached to Brick From a Demolshed Deck

Old 08-31-19, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tools for Removing A Very High Bandboard Attached to Brick From a Demolshed Deck

Hi. I am a DIYer in my mid-60s. I have demolished most of a second story deck solo, but I am left with a very long bandboard running horizontally about 10 off the ground, and about 25 feet long. The bandboard is attached to brick wall by galvanized lag screws and anchors. The bandboard is very heavy, and I would need to cut it while it is still attached to the brick wall so I can reduce the size and weight of each piece as I remove each section of bandboard from the house. Otherwise, it would be dangerous to remove it by myself. Is there any power tool that can be used to saw the band board while it is still attached to the house? Would a reciprocating saw have enough of a flat angle to saw thru the wood by holding it vertically perpendicular to the wooden band-board? Is there any other saw I might be able to use, like a rotary blade Dremel that would allow me to make the cuts in the bandboard into smaller sections while still attached to the brick? . I live in a rural place and have no one to help, so I need to go it alone if that is possible. Any expert insights would be most welcome. Thank you!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-19, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Yes you can use a sawzall to cut it into more manageable sized pieces. Just don't beat the tip of the blade against the brick too much or you will dull your blade.

Old 08-31-19, 04:00 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Hi, I would agree with the Sawzall and a good aggressive blade.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-9...12BW/203464644
Geo

Old 08-31-19, 05:08 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Another option is to use a circular saw and set the depth accordingly.

Old 08-31-19, 05:39 PM
Received 94 Votes on 85 Posts
Another option is to use a circular saw
At best that will get maybe 1/3 the ledger, sawzall or maybe one of those small battery powered circular saws.

Or just put up some supports the ends and take down as one piece!

Old 09-01-19, 01:30 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Loosen screws and drive a wedge between ledger and brick. Cut ledger with circular saw. Blade depth should be set to miss brick.