Mastercraft Air Compressor and impact wrench

Old 09-19-19, 10:54 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mastercraft Air Compressor and impact wrench

I bought these tools (Air Compressor & Impact Wrench) to change winter tires of our vehicles, but when i was reading the manuals there is a warning that these tools should not be used in cold weather.

I do not understand then what is point to use these tools, I just want to further understand, does someone uses these kind of tools in winter? it looks me like warning is subject to some circumstances

Thanks

Old 09-19-19, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Compressed air carries moisture in it that can freeze in the air hose or inside the turbine of your air tool. Keep the equipment inside where it's warm until you need it. Use it and then bring it back in. Keeping your impact tools oiled is helpful in the cold.

sairfan1 voted this post useful.
Old 09-19-19, 11:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I've never had any issues using either of my compressors in cold weather although my portable compressor has had the pop off valve stick open a time or two until it warmed up. You should always bleed the tank to remove moisture when you get done with the air compressor which will also prevent any ice from forming in the tank.

sairfan1 voted this post useful.
Old 09-19-19, 11:38 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
In the 40+ years that I have had air tools and compressors in my unheated garages I have never had an issue with moisture/water in cold weather and I use some of these tools year round.

Moisture is not an issue in cold weather and as long as you drain the tank and moisture traps on a regular basis there shouldn't be any water present!

Old 09-20-19, 02:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I probably should have added the 2 times I had issues from cold weather with my small air compressor was when it was left on the back of the truck uncovered and got coated with frost.

Old 09-20-19, 08:26 AM
S
I believe one important thing i forgot to mention that we have extremely low temperature in winter, it could be as low as -15 inside the garage.

One other reason that comes to my mind if i fill the tank in cold and after use i do not empty it and leave it as is, when temperature raises it could be dangerous as well.

Old 09-20-19, 08:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
if i fill the tab in cold
Was that supposed to say 'fill the tank in cold' ?
Your tank has a pop off valve that should open any time the tank's pressure gets above a certain point. On smaller compressors that is often 125 psi.

I don't have any experience using an air compressor below zero. I wonder if a different oil would be called for ??

Old 09-20-19, 12:56 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Moisture is not an issue in cold weather
There is no humidity in cold temps, thus no moisture will collect in the compressor or lines, no issue!

You absolutely need to be sure your oil is compatible with the low temps, that is a completely different issue!

Old 09-23-19, 03:40 PM
S
You absolutely need to be sure your oil is compatible with the low temps, that is a completely different issue!
Its an oil free compressor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: