Kobalt vs. Dewalt Cordless Brushless Power Tools

Old 01-09-20, 09:20 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kobalt vs. Dewalt Cordless Brushless Power Tools

I recently purchased a small Dewalt Power Tool Combo kit (drill & impact driver) at a good price, and I have it here unopened, but now I am looking at Lowes Kobalt offerings. I am a cordless newbie, so I don't know much. Is there a difference between the two brands in terms of durability, parts costs/availability, etc.? I can go into more detail if needed, but I am not sure of the fora rules here (listing stores, prices, etc).

Also, I need advice for accessories for these, especially since I am not familiar with the impact driver.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-20, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 312 Posts
Kobalt is DIY grade, and if you have any problems down the road you would need to rely on your warranty and lowes to treat you right. Let's say you drop it off the roof onto the driveway and break the clamshell. (Case) No replacement parts are available online. You could ask lowes but they would probably say you need a new one and breakage due to misuse is not covered.

Dewalt is professional grade and replacement parts and repair are available in any number of places after your warranty expires. So if you break the clamshell it's still not covered but you could at least order the parts online or get it repaired.

I dont know what accessories you are referring to. There are a thousand kits you can get with bits, drill bits, sockets, etc. They are all interchangeable and are not brand specific. You can use an impact pretty much the same way you use a drill. It puts less torque on your arm.

Old 01-09-20, 10:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 358 Votes on 328 Posts
There is variation within a brand name product line as well. Dewalt has cordless drills that appear almost identical but the lower grade version has a "plastic" chuck while the heavier duty model has an all metal chuck. Whether or not the Kobalt is good enough depends on what you want to do with your tools. At work I use Bosch tools but at home I have a set of Ryobi that is much less expensive but has so far survived a couple years of home use without any problems.