replacement cords for power tools? strain relief?

Old 01-09-20, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacement cords for power tools? strain relief?

I was splicing the cord on a very old but still going strong makita recipricating saw recently - where i had cut the cord accidentally a while ago, the splice was shorting out now.

As I was doing that I wondered about just buying a new saw.

but then wondered - why not replace the cord. But then wondered the cost of the cord with molded strain relief going into the saw would likely cost more than a new harbor freight saw : )

I did start looking on the web for generic replacement cords, but they don't seem to have that strain relief that woudl go into the saw housing.

You tube videos show a guy ising a gas line over the cable. Another shows the guy drilling out the center of the old strain relief and slipping the new cable through.

Any thoughts on sources for cables with strain relief? or how you create a strain relief in your replacement power cords?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-20, 09:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
You can buy universal strain reliefs.

If yours ok and you just need to get the wire out....... use a thin pair of needle nose pliers. Pull the actual wires out first. Put one jaw in the center and the other jaw between the jacket and the relief. As you twist the pliers the wire jacket will roll up on the pliers and then can be removed from the relief.

Old 01-09-20, 10:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 282 Votes on 258 Posts
Strain reliefs are usually available for most brand name tools from any of a number of online repair stores. I replace them on my tools quite regularly. Most are brand specific.