Distance Between Pulleys

Old 03-22-20, 12:53 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Distance Between Pulleys

Disregarding the speed ratios between pulleys, is the distance between the pulleys important?

I have a variable speed 24VDC motor driving a mini homemade bandsaw. All is working fine but I made the belt out of duct tape and although its working fine I want to buy a new belt and I donít know how to establish the length. Current length I have is 12Ē (total belt length) and the distance between the pulleys is about 6Ē. I have the space to go longer but I donít know if there are any rules

Old 03-22-20, 01:03 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 190 Votes on 170 Posts
Nope, no difference regarding distance. The only speed/torque determination is the size of the two pulleys.

kolias voted this post useful.
Old 03-22-20, 04:35 PM
J
Received 100 Votes on 88 Posts
V-Belt Length Calculator

Old 03-23-20, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
When I don't know what length belt I need I've always taken a small rope and put it on like you would the real belt and then measure the length of rope it took.

Old 03-23-20, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
In some cases there is a consideration when determining pulley spacing.
Yow want them separated to maximize belt to pulley contact on the smaller pulley but not too far apart to prevent belt slap.
On a low torque application like yours it probably would not make much of a difference.

Old 03-23-20, 09:13 AM
J
Received 100 Votes on 88 Posts
Long ago when I worked at an industrial supply house a guy came in and ask for some belts for his 100 year old hit or miss engine that was running a saw blade.
First thing I asked him was do you have the old belts?
Nope, can't you just look it up in a book was his reply.
I told him if I have the distance apart from the centers of the shafts and the 2 ID.s of the pulleys I could figure it out for him.
He wanted to speak to a manager to tell them I had no clue and was not being very helpful.
He leaves and comes back and tells me he has 2, 12" pulleys and the shafts are 5" apart.
I said you really mean 5' apart not 5" right.
Now he's really mad at me thinking I'm making him feel stupid.
He makes a call and someone gave him the right measurement, I figure out what he needs and hand the belts to him.
Then he says, OK mister smarty pants what the RPM's of the saw blade, I ask him what's the RPM's of the engine?
He want's to know what difference does that make, I need to know the RPM of the saw blade.

Old 03-26-20, 07:41 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
My thanks to all for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: