reduce diameter of hockey puck?

Old 04-01-20, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
reduce diameter of hockey puck?

Looking for suggestions on practical/easy method(s) I might be able to cut/shape a standard hockey puck down to 2" diameter from its normal 3" diameter. This is so I can fit it onto my floor jack saddle, which is a 2" diameter. Hockey puck is an inch thick. What tool(s) and/or methods might make good sense to accomplish this?

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

04-01-20, 02:20 PM
Ron53
Received 20 Votes on 17 Posts
The puck is made out rubber, hard rubber
I know what they are made of that's why I said I think they would be too slick for that use, but have at it. I would be extra careful using that jack if you go that route though.

Old 04-01-20, 10:42 AM
T
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
Not an answer to your question I know but you can buy jack pads for about $5.

Otherwise, I'd probably draw the circle and use a jigsaw, unless you have a lathe?

Old 04-01-20, 10:51 AM
Couldn't find a jack pad for sale anywhere, including online, that has a 2" diameter like I need/want.
Nope don't have a lathe. Have a jigsaw but not quite sure how I might be able to hold/clamp the puck firmly while I try to jigsaw it. I do have a bench vise; I suppose I might think about trying to go that route.

Old 04-01-20, 11:31 AM
Received 241 Votes on 228 Posts
A 2" hole saw!

Jack inserts are larger than 2"!

Old 04-01-20, 12:04 PM
A 2" hole saw! Jack inserts are larger than 2"!
Yes a 2" hole saw should work fine I'd think. Don't know why I couldn't seem to think of that myself. Thanks!
But not sure what you mean by "jack inserts" are larger than 2". If you're referring to the "saddle" of the floor jack, mine measures 2 inches diameter where I'd be fitting the 2" diameter puck.

Old 04-01-20, 12:09 PM
T
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
What kind of jack do you have? Amazon has bunches that will fit most anything...

Ex:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=B07CKCH9J...ref=nb_sb_noss

If you have a quick clamp or such, you could just clamp part it to a corner of a bench and jig saw part of it, then rotate it. Slow going but it would probably work.

Old 04-01-20, 12:20 PM
R
I would think a puck would be on the slick side and wouldn't be a great idea, go with a proper one made out of rubber just to be safe.

Old 04-01-20, 12:47 PM
What kind of jack do you have? Amazon has bunches that will fit most anything...
This kind/size of jack (pictured). 2" diameter saddle. I did already look at all those on Amazon; most all of them don't really look like they'd fit in my jack saddle and/or they wouldn't fit right over/into the pinch weld like they're supposed to (2016 Nissan Versa).

Old 04-01-20, 12:50 PM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
Use a block of wood._____________________

Old 04-01-20, 12:51 PM
I would think a puck would be on the slick side and wouldn't be a great idea, go with a proper one made out of rubber just to be safe.
The puck is made out rubber, hard rubber. I'd be notching it to fit over the pinch weld jack location(s) on the vehicle.

Old 04-01-20, 02:20 PM
R
The puck is made out rubber, hard rubber
I know what they are made of that's why I said I think they would be too slick for that use, but have at it. I would be extra careful using that jack if you go that route though.

Norm201, sgull voted this post useful.
Old 04-01-20, 03:28 PM
It should be fine; of course I'll be careful. As I mentioned I'd be notching it to fit over the pinch weld jack location(s) on the vehicle, which if I notch just about right should prevent much in the way of any slippage. People been using/altering hockey pucks for such as I intend; various good instructions about it on youtube, depending on the specific application. No intent at all to actually work beneath the vehicle supported only by the jack.

Old 04-01-20, 03:46 PM
Received 169 Votes on 154 Posts
Interesting! You want to level the notched saddle of the jack so you have smooth or plane surface.
So this begs the question as to why hydraulic car jacks have a notched or cupped saddle. I'm assuming it's to prevent a smooth surface from slipping. You have four points of contact to grip then frame.

sgull voted this post useful.
Old 04-02-20, 05:19 AM
Received 241 Votes on 228 Posts
But not sure what you mean by "jack inserts" are larger than 2"
Just commenting that the average jack pad is larger that 2", you have a small puck (nothing personal).

On my puck it has a cross cut groove about 1/3 depth, pinch weld fits in this groove when needed!

Old 04-02-20, 05:22 AM
B
Received 58 Votes on 51 Posts
You can do this if you have a jig saw. Take a foot square piece of 1/2 inch plywood and drill a hole for the blade to pass thru in the middle . Screw the jigsaw base to the plywood. Drill 2 holes in the puck. One in the center of a diameter for a tight fit with the securing nail/screw. The second hole is 1 inch from the center hole and of diameter to allow the jigsaw blade to pass thru. On the side of the plywood opposite the jigsaw, drop the puck over the blade and attach puck to plywood using the center hole with enough freedom to rotate the puck. Secure the piece of plywood, power the jigsaw and cut away.

Old 04-02-20, 09:51 AM
Just commenting that the average jack pad is larger that 2", you have a small puck (nothing personal). On my puck it has a cross cut groove about 1/3 depth, pinch weld fits in this groove when needed!
Yes Marq1, the 2" hole saw was the ticket! Worked easily that way for me. Photo below shows the puck cut (with the hole saw) to fit pretty good there in the saddle of my jack. I then cross- cut a notch (or groove) in the puck so it would fit over the pinch weld.

You can do this if you have a jig saw. Take a foot square piece of 1/2 inch plywood and drill a hole for the blade to pass thru in the middle . Screw the jigsaw base to the plywood. Drill 2 holes in the puck. One in the center of a diameter for a tight fit with the securing nail/screw. The second hole is 1 inch from the center hole and of diameter to allow the jigsaw blade to pass thru. On the side of the plywood opposite the jigsaw, drop the puck over the blade and attach puck to plywood using the center hole with enough freedom to rotate the puck. Secure the piece of plywood, power the jigsaw and cut away.
That probably would've worked fine too, thanks. But as mentioned, I went the hole saw route and it worked out good.

Below is the puck, with the groove in it now, shown in action. Works fine and dandy as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Old 04-03-20, 03:23 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Iím confused as the need for this? I rotate my cup so that that the pinch weld falls between the lower sections of the cup.

im reluctant to alter a jack......Iíd hope the manufacturers have tested it on lunch welds....which are probably the most common style of lift point.

Old 04-03-20, 03:34 PM
I’m confused as the need for this? I rotate my cup so that that the pinch weld falls between the lower sections of the cup. im reluctant to alter a jack......I’d hope the manufacturers have tested it on lunch welds....which are probably the most common style of lift point.
Probably depends on the situation with the type/model of car and the style of pinch weld designed in. With my particular jack and my particular homemade adapter for the pinch weld for my car, I'm quite satisfied now with how it worked out and not reluctant about it all. I wanted to avoid crushing/bending the pinch weld with my jack saddle cup which was my need for this. Once it gets all crushed/damaged it just becomes a problematic and potentially unsatisfactory and/or un-usable jack point for either the floor jack or the scissor jack that came with the car. If you look on Amazon for example you'll see plenty types and sizes of pinch weld jack adapters for sale for floor jacks for basically the same purpose as I made mine out of a puck. Not sure what you mean by lunch welds.