How to store an electric pole saw without leaking oil

Old 05-12-20, 05:58 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to store an electric pole saw without leaking oil

I have an electric pole chainsaw that I have just been laying on the floor of the shed and I want to finally hang it. I know it doesn't leak when stored horizontally but can it be stored vertically without the oil leaking out? If so, would you store it chain side up or handle side up?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-20, 06:49 PM
J
Received 68 Votes on 63 Posts
It should not leak no matter what position it's stored in.
Think about it, while using it has it been leaking?

Old 05-12-20, 07:10 PM
D
No, but I have another old electric chainsaw that always has a little puddle of oil on the ground after. I just thought they leaked out but maybe that saw is just bad

Old 05-13-20, 02:06 AM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
I just use big "J" hooks an store it up high horizontal, and mine will leak out of the vent hole in the cap if it is stored upside down or vertical for extended time!

Old 05-13-20, 04:01 AM
Received 189 Votes on 171 Posts
I've noticed all chainsaw seem to leak oil to some degree. Brand new out of the box. I have a gas powered and electric and they both leave a residue of oil. I usually wrap a rag around the unit.

Old 05-13-20, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Chain saw will leak oil where the chain oiler is. Wrap a rag or put in a plastic bag to catch oil.Oil will stop leaking after residue leaves.

Old 05-13-20, 05:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
My current pole saw doesn't leak oil in any position but I installed hooks high on the wall so I could store it horizontally. This also frees up all the space below to store other tools.

My old pole saw did leak oil. For it I took the lid from a 5 gallon bucket and attached it to the top of some shelf brackets to hold the cutting head and catch the drips. I made another small shelf to hold the power head. Again, this was done up high to free up the space below.

Old 05-13-20, 03:20 PM
D
I've got it in a shed so there really isn't room along the wall because I have shelves but since I only use it a couple times a year, maybe I will just put some J hooks as mentioned up high near the peak of the roof so I can store it horizontally. That seems like the way most of you store them. Thanks.