Craftsman 3/8-Inch Air Rachet Won't Stop Turning

Old 06-06-20, 03:28 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman 3/8-Inch Air Rachet Won't Stop Turning

I have a Craftsman 3/8-inch air rachet wrench. The last time I used it was around 6 years ago. It didn't really see much use before that either. Yesterday I connected it to my compressor (set for 80 PSI), squeezed the trigger but it didn't work. After fiddling around with it, it suddenly started to work nicely.

However, I can't stop it unless I remove the air supply. The little pin that the trigger moves won't come out.
I removed the threaded plug that's on the handle and squirted some 3-in-1 oil into the trigger-pin-spring but that didn't help. Now the pin and spring move inside the handle but they don't do anything.

Is the tool fixable? I don't want to take it apart without a bit of help from this forum.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-20, 04:48 PM
A
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
you could take it apart would probably look for the model and see if parts are available for it plenty of websites would have diagrams so you can probably find out what is missing on the throttle if parts are not available may just want to buy another ratchet.

Old 06-06-20, 06:30 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Behind trigger button is a very small round plastic part that disintegrates over age. 5 minute repair if you can get the part. Have had this problem with SnapOn brand.

RR

Old 06-06-20, 11:01 PM
P
I suspected as much. There is a small, stiff, 1/2-inch-long coil spring between the end of the trigger button and a cap on the tool's housing but the button is not spring-loaded. MOF the shaft on the end of the button goes right through the spring.

I took apart another 3/8 drive air socket (Master Mechanics that I bought in 1991) and did find, within the spring's coil, a 1/10-inch diameter solid plastic cylinder, about 1/10-inch high. Guess that must be what's left of the "very small round plastic part". Dunno where the rest of it went.

Back to the Craftsman tool. No small plastic part inside that one but there was some semi-hard what looked like wax but a little softer consistancy inside the spring coil.

In the process of discovering all this, the little spring from the Master Mechanics tool rolled off the workbench and into oblivion... When I find the spring (if.. I find the spring) I'll search for a small screw that I can use as a substitute.

Old 06-07-20, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Was a mechanic for many years 20 years ago and tried to rebuild several air ratchets. Usually ended up tossing them.
Go to Sears parts direct with your model # and they will have kit or say it is discontinued. If discontinued copy and than paste part # in browser search and usually somebody will have kit.

Old 06-07-20, 08:24 AM
P
Searspartsdirect's parts for this model (875.188020) are mostly discontinued. The only available part costs around $35 and is not what I need. I see there is a steel ball bearing in the trigger mechanism that is not in my tool. Looks like time for the trash can for this. Thanks anyway!