Stuck spindle nut on edger

Old 06-06-20, 05:42 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stuck spindle nut on edger

Hello all, need suggestions on removing a stuck nut on a MTD edger attachment. The edger has a blade spindle nut, that is supposed to be removed by inserting a rod into a keyway in the spindle to hold it, then using a wrench to loosen it clockwise. I have been unable to remove the nut using a variety of attempts. I have cleaned it, used WD-40 to penetrate the threads, used 3 in1 oil to lubricate, tried a socket wrench, spanner, adjustable wrench. I have tried tapping it with a mallet. I have tried using a heat gun to heat the nut. I have damaged the keyway because the keyway gave before the nut. I don't have an impact wrench, and i'm not sure how it would help if the keyway is unable to handle the force. I have checked every time to make sure I am turning the wrench the correct way (clockwise for a spindle nut). Anyone have any successful experience with this or any other suggestions?

Attached Images   

Last edited by rjk127; 06-06-20 at 06:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-20, 06:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
I assume you dont have a vise?

If not, put the blade against the sidewalk and brace it with your foot so it cant turn when you put a wrench to it. Then use your socket and a breaker bar for extra leverage... then turn the nut clockwise to loosen.