Problems with Power Washer

Old 06-11-20, 12:58 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problems with Power Washer

I have a gas powered power washer which I hadn't used in about a year. So I drained the gas and refilled with fresh gas. It runs okay until I squeeze the trigger. In about 2 secs. the RPMs start to drop and if I don't release the trigger immediately, it stalls. It almost seams like perhaps there is a sensor of some sort that should sense the load increase of the pump and open the throttle to compensate which might have failed. I have the throttle on the maximum position. It is powered by a Honda 160GSX engine.

It is a great power washer for about 2 seconds at a time. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-20, 02:34 PM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
The unloader valve is sticking.

Old 06-13-20, 07:02 AM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Hi, agree, it sounds like the unloader valve, do you flush the system out with fresh clean water after each use? What is the mdl# of the unit, do you have the owners manual ?
Geo

Old 06-15-20, 07:54 AM
R
Many thanks for everyone's input!

I believe it is the NorthStar Gas Cold Water Pressure Washer ó 3100 PSI, 2.5 GPM, Honda Engine, Model# 157122. It was purchased 7 or 8 years ago, used once or twice and the owners manual did not survive our move 3 years ago. The North Star manual download website doesn't have this model listed although the Northern website still has it for sale

Where might the unloader valve be located? Do these unloader valves go bad often?

Could it be a volume issue? We are out in the country on a private well and the brainiacs who put in the 400' ft long water service used 3/4" PVC so while the static pressure is good (60PSI+) once there is a demand put on the system it can drop off pretty quickly. Do you think that it is worth the effort to take the washer up to the well site to test ? That would eliminate the 3/4" service line from the problem.

Old 06-15-20, 08:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Can you measure the pressure or volume drop when the spigot is open?
I'm on city water but my meter is at the road with 400-500' of 3/4" line with a 200-300' elevation rise. In only have 25-35 psi at the house but it will run my similar sized pressure washer. I had to replace the unloader valve on mine once - about 15 yrs ago.

Old 06-15-20, 09:26 AM
Hi, post a pic of the washer, we should be able to see the unloader and point it out .
Geo

Old 06-22-20, 09:38 AM
R
marcsr & geo,

Thank you for helping me. Currently I do not have a way to run the washer and monitor the pressure concurrently (The house is currently under reconstruction). I would like to investigate the unloader issue first. Here is the photo of the pump. If the unloader turns out not to be the problem I will then rig the plumbing to check the pressure.

Old 06-23-20, 06:43 AM
Hi, try this manual
https://www.northerntool.com/images/...als/157121.pdf
is there a mdl# on that pump assembly, PDF seems to show an easy start valve but I donít see it in your pic.

Geo