Is palm nailer mandatory for joist hanger and metal connector?

Old 06-29-20, 09:04 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is palm nailer mandatory for joist hanger and metal connector?

If u already have a framing nailer, can u just use it instead of buying a palm nailer. Other than being able to reach confined space, are there any other instance where u must use a palm nailer instead of a framing nailer?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-20, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 498 Votes on 457 Posts
You don't use framing nailers for joist nails period.

You either hand nail, feed single nails into a palm nailer, use Simpson SD screws (assuming they are approved for use on your particular hanger) or you use a positive placement gun made specifically for joist hangers, such as the Bostich Strapshot.

In all cases, joist hanger nails must be approved fasteners that display the size (number) of nail on the head.

Old 06-30-20, 05:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 448 Posts
I've always hand nailed joist hangers and brackets but I was kicking myself for building my house and not buying a palm nailer. Swinging a framing hammer while holding a 1 1/2" 10 penny nail in the corner with a bracket will test your nerve and aim. If it's a big job I'd definetely get a palm nailer especially if you will already have a compressor on sight. If it's your average deck I'm 50/50 as you won't find much other use for the tool.