Rotorazer hand Saw

Old 07-11-20, 05:41 PM
W
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Rotorazer hand Saw

I had to replace some of the slats in a hardwood floor a few years ago damaged from a water leak. I was really happy with the job until winter went into spring and summer, when the hardwood slats I had custom cut swelled up with humidity and created a hump in the floor where the new pieces rested against the old floor. (the old floor was a tongue and groove set up, I could not get that to replace, or join up. floor is 1963 built) I should have had the pieces cut narrower to allow for swelling but now I have to cut them in place. I have seen this rotorazer saw on sale, but I can't tell from the ads where it is made (China, Bengaladesh?) It looks like the right idea to do this, but maybe not. looking for suggestions for cutting these slats lengthwise while still nailed to the subfloor
and the right tool for the job.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-20, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 570 Votes on 523 Posts
When it comes to cutting out individual planks on a hardwood floor, I'm not sure what a "rotorazer" does that any standard skilsaw wouldnt do. You make two cuts about an inch apart, remove the waste in the middle then pull out the tongue side and pull out the groove side.

Old 07-12-20, 12:54 AM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
Its amazing the force that can be generated when wood planks laid end to end are exposed to humidity.

So the tongue and groove, or lack of, is not the issue, but I bet the boards were laid tight in the fall/winter then came warm humid summer weather and the buckled.

Regardless of the tool a board or two just needs to be removed and replaced loosely or during the summer when they are at the max size!

Old 07-12-20, 12:20 PM
W
Rotaryrazor Hand Saw

I replaced about 5 or 6 lengths of new hardword without tongues and groves to replace the damaged ones I took out, I just want to cut the new lengths of hardwood along where they are now pushing together too tight. I do not want to removed the new boards at all, just make tthe gap between them wider.. I have a skill saw but thought a smaller saw like the rotarazor might be easier to work with, or maybe a smaller better built competitor to the rotarazor.

Old 07-12-20, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
Personal opinion..........

It looks like the rotarazor is a miniature circular saw.
If you just want to increase the gap between the new boards you installed I'm thinking an oscillating saw may be a better idea. I'm thinking it may be easier to control and not cause gouging between the boards. It may take a little longer.

Old 07-13-20, 08:31 AM
W
Rotorazor Hand Saw

Thanks Pete,
I have a FEIN oscilating saw I was thinking about trying, now I will.

Old 07-13-20, 03:50 PM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
Might want to do a trial, trying to cut down the length of hardwood by hand is not going to be too easy (with a multi tool) or straight!

Might not be the look your hoping for!