120V Stapler

Old 07-20-20, 07:16 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
120V Stapler

I'm finishing out the inside of both our new sheds with luan & I need some opinions on electric staplers. I had one, that I have had for several years but didnt use often, so I grabbed it & started the project. Some staples wont go all the way in while some would. I am doubtful its the various hardness of the 2X4's. I think its the stapler. It was an arrow brand shooting T50 3/8" staples.
Now, I say "was" cause it just out of the blue, quit. So, I head to town.....

I looked around at HD & bought a Dewalt electric stapler & a manual "squeeze the handle" Dewalt stapler & bought some 9/16" Arrow staples that was shown to be a staple it uses.
So I get home tear open the package of the electric stapler & load it up. Working fine, then, same thing. Some will go in flush & some maybe half way in.

I tried my 18 ga pneumatic stapler but even turning it down to about 58 lb, either it wont work at that PSI or it will still shoot through the luan. I cant turn it down enough that it wont shoot through it.

I would like to get a good reliable electric stapler to complete this project with. Anyone have any recommendations/opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-20, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
The DuoFast Carpet pro is probably the best electric stapler for what you are doing. Luan is pretty soft stuff and its known for having soft voids, so occasionally you may still get a few staples that blow through the surface. (That's why luan isnt an acceptable underlayment for floors) Its a 3/16" stapler that shoots 9/16" staples. DuoFast isnt cheap but you dont see pros with cheap tools... and you're finding out why.

Pneumatic 1/4" crown staplers generally have a depth of drive adjustment on the gun so that should work, (unless you have a low quality gun with no adjustment). Most often, it's a dial just below the trigger. If you still have your manual look it up, or look for it on the internet if it's long gone.

Length of staple could be an issue. You just need a short staple for what you're doing too. They won't wad up as much.

Dixie2012 voted this post useful.
Old 07-20-20, 07:39 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
My pneumatic stapler is a Porter Cable from Lowes. I'll look for that adjustment. Thanks.

I'll also look at Duo Fast electric staplers. I'll also try going back to a 3/8" staple. I've got plenty of both.

Old 07-20-20, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
If 3/8" is the length, that's too short to hold much of anything unless you are stapling up paper or plastic.

Old 07-20-20, 08:03 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Thats what I thought, so I bought these 9/16". I can get some 1/2". I'm not sure I've seen any 7/16".

And you're right. I looked..... sheesh, $280. I dont mind $150 or even $200 but thats about as high as I had in mind. $300 is a little steep for no more than I use one. I need a good stapler that wont add to my frequent aggravation, so, maybe I gotta do what I gotta do. $300 is a little much....

Old 07-20-20, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, no need to buy another tool... the PC should have a wheel under the trigger. That should solve your problem. Usually 80-90 lbs is about right.

Dixie2012 voted this post useful.
Old 07-21-20, 04:31 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks a bunch...........