vertical play in blade on reciprocating saw?

Old 08-16-20, 09:51 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vertical play in blade on reciprocating saw?

I have had a low cost corded reciprocating (sawzall type) saw and just acquired a stash of (seemingly hardly used) Hitachi tools with a cordless version. Both saws are similar in regard to vertical play but I wanted to confirm whether 5 to 7 degrees of vertical play in the mounted blade is normal? Play is the same with the blade mounted teeth-down or teeth-up. Blades with a thicker tang seem to have less up-down motion. Side-to-side and in-out slop/play are minimal. I think I could rationalize this as a design feature to allow the blade to clear the material on the return stroke. I'm looking for confirmation because I can still order replacement parts if I need to get them.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Steve near Rochester NY

Last edited by thunderbirl; 08-16-20 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-20, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
I think they do eventually get worn. I have gone through 3 or 4 sawzalls in the last 30 years... and I have worn out motors before I have ever replaced any of the quick connector parts.

Old 08-16-20, 12:11 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 629 Votes on 581 Posts
All of my quick attach reciprocating saw blades have a bit of wiggle or play. I have a really old corded saw where the blade is attached by tightening an Allen screw and that's the only one that consistently holds a blade tight. It's also the most annoying to change a blade.