Good Power Tool Deal or Buyer Beware?

Old 09-01-20, 06:21 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good Power Tool Deal or Buyer Beware?

Ridgid Model #R9205

A powerful Ridgid hammer drill, impact driver, two 4.0AH batteries, and a charger for $199.00.
I almost placed an order, but the price seemed too low for all that horsepower.

Home Depot site - 1,585 reviews - 4.7 stars. No problem here, but I decided to check Amazon.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...9205/206127587

The reviews at Amazon are not good. Buyers cannot register this product for warranty protection.
Customer says he received used merchandise.

https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-Lithiu.../dp/B01IRKOOP6

Despite these disturbing Amazon reviews, should I purchase this combo deal from the Home
Depot site?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-20, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
There are only 22 reviews from Amazon so I wouldn't give it very much weight. Rigid is Home Depot's brand not Amazon's. Home depot is a better deal anyway and would not hesitate buying from them. You should also not have any issues with the warranty as long as you register.

Old 09-01-20, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
My 2 cents. We’ve been buying the Rigid brand and were impressed, especially for the price. I never send in the registration card. The receipt is all that’s needed for the warranty. The review about receiving used tools, probably bought it from a “seller “.

Old 09-01-20, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 94 Posts
Just to add, Home Depot’s good about warranties and returns. Buy thru them, not Amazon.

Old 09-01-20, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
Despite these disturbing Amazon reviews, should I purchase this combo deal from the Home
Depot site?
Yes..... just for the simple fact of warranty repair/replacement.

I bought a Ridgid 1/2" hammer drill. I had a continuing problem with the variable trigger going bad. It would be full speed.... not variable. I had the entire drill replaced at least 4 times at Depot. They never questioned the problem. That was quite a while ago. I ended up trading it in at my supply house towards a Milwaukee.

Old 09-02-20, 04:57 AM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
I agree with the others. However, I would rather have at a minimum a 20 volt unit. 18 volt is borderline. I think you can get just a good a deal for a better unit as the holidays get closer.

Old 09-02-20, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
Today's "20 volts" are really 18 volts. When the batteries are not under load they will show 20 volts but as soon as you pull the trigger the voltage drops to 18ish. It really is nothing more than marketing. https://cordlessdrillzone.com/drill-...ut%20together.

I had a Rigid drill/impact set that I used for work. I now have Milwaukee for work and DeWalt for home for no real reason. Rigid performed very well and would recommend it to anybody.

Old 09-03-20, 12:06 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
All replies are very helpful. Thanks guys.

I had another concern about Ridgid products when I visited my local Home Depot. I walked up
and down the aisles in the tool department several times. They did not have any Ridgid cordless
tools on display. I walked all over the store, thinking it might be "end capped" like Ryobi tools.
I couldn't find a store employee to ask about Ridgid tools.

Anyway, I will purchase that combo package from the Home Depot website.

Old 09-03-20, 01:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
FWIW, I would not buy a cordless hammer drill unless I needed a hammer drill for a project where I knew I would not be able to tap into a receptacle - corded drills just plain have more power and drilling into concrete takes power. Other than that, the deal seems reasonable.

Old 09-04-20, 09:26 AM
D
Received 23 Votes on 22 Posts
Marketeers play all kinds of games with the numbers. Here is basic battery data:

Lithium battery voltage is 3.6 volts per cell. 5 cells = 18.0 volts. Would wonder about 20 volt lithium battery pack. Yes, the voltage after charging can be slightly higher, but the actual, basic, working reference is 3.6 volts.

Ni Cad batteries are unique in that they will maintain a steady voltage of 1.2v per cell up until it is almost completely depleted.

A typical alkaline and zinc battery is 1.5 volt.

Lead-acid battery has a cell voltage of approximately 2 volts which then steadily drops off as it is depleted.