Are Amazon Makita batteries really used when shown as new?

Old 10-09-20, 01:38 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Are Amazon Makita batteries really used when shown as new?

Folks:

I am looking to buy two new BL1820Bs for my Makita drill and impact. Amazon has, what appears to be new, a set of two for $99.00. Called my local Home Depot just to see if they price match and they told us they don't when it comes to Amazon batteries for power tools. Said the one's Amazon sells can't be guaranteed news, thus they sell them so much cheaper. The Home Depot set of two is $149. So about $50 bucks more than Amazon.

You know the saying, if its too good to be true.....

Lately I've observed Amazon is about 90% crap products from China; my trust in most products from there really is sinking.

Anyone buy a NEW (as listed) Makita power tool battery to find out it didn't last or had issues?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-20, 01:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
If you look on Amazon you'll probably find the batteries you want sold by multiple vendors. So, without saying exactly which batteries you are considering we can't say. Some items are listed as used while others are new. Some are fulfilled directly from a third party, sometimes shipping directly from somewhere in Asia while other orders are fulfilled by Amazon proper. Some are higher quality than others so you need to do your due diligence and read the reviews. Don't just read the first few. Look at many of the reviews and give them the smell test to determine if they are real or fake reviews. Pay attention to the date of the reviews as something from 2 or 3 years ago may not be a good indication of the products they are currently shipping. I've seen some products that initially had bad reviews but over time the manufacturer got things dialed in so recent reviews are much better.

Old 10-09-20, 01:46 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Personally I would take the comments from HD with a grain of salt, if you buy from Amazon and they are advertised as new, I doubt your going to get used batteries.

And if you did, they would be easy to tell and could be returned!

Like some Dewalt batteries I just purchased from eBay, there are more knock off cheap crap from China so you got to be sure what your buying!

And by the way I bought a set of 2 batteries for $59 that the BBS were selling for $149 so the mistake I made was not buying the other 2 that were available!

Old 10-09-20, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,119 Votes on 1,039 Posts
$45 seems to be about the correct price for a true Makita battery.

The pack of two directly from Makita should be a safe buy. When you get the batteries check the date stamped on them. If they're old..... send them back.

Makita batteries on amazon

Old 10-09-20, 07:15 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 116 Votes on 107 Posts
I recently bought a set of off-brand batteries for my Dewalt drill and another set for some Ryobi tools. They were MUCH cheaper than the brand-name batteries, and worked well enough to make it worthwhile.

In the end, batteries are pretty much batteries. If it were me, I'd use that $50 for another tool

Old 10-10-20, 05:49 AM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
I recently bought a set of off-brand batteries
Its the longevity that will tell if it was a good choice.

Ive just recently replaced batteries from my 10 year old Dewalt drill, everything I read about the cheap China batteries is that 2-4 years from now they are toast!

Old 10-10-20, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 679 Votes on 628 Posts
If it says they are new, they are not used. Be sure they are name brand. I have fallen for the cheap knockoff Dewalt batteries several times and every time they are about worthless. They are below average quality and I have found that they work satisfactory in a drill or impact (but need recharging quickly) and even fully charged they are worthless in a cordless saw, which requires more power.

Old 10-10-20, 09:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
I recently ordered from Amazon a pair of aftermarket Paslode nail gun because those two were a bit less expensive than one Paslode branded battery. The batteries were new and took a charge but the physical fit of the batteries in the tool isn't good. One battery is essentially useless while the other works properly. In hindsight I should have just bought the brand name battery.

Old 10-11-20, 09:48 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
Thanks for the thoughts.

I ended up buying both the set from HD as well as Amazon. For HD, I can walk in and return IF I find the 33% less expensive Amazon to be brand new and OEM. If the Amazon clearly are imitation or used and repackaged or the batteries have the slightest issue or packaging is suspect, I can return for free to Amazon.

What will be nice is I can now compare side-by-side.

I usually prefer to buy local (HD) just becaues I'm supporting local laborers, even though HD also sells a LOT of junk China stuff. Comparing Amazon to HD is really a non-starter. Amazon looks to be 85 to 90% Junk that tries to look legit.

I too will not buy knockoff batteries. I've seen enough tear down videos of those to know the internal components are really coming up short. Not worth it.