Looking for riving knife for my B&D BT2500 Table Saw

Old 12-28-20, 06:03 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Looking for riving knife for my B&D BT2500 Table Saw

I'd like to install a riving knife on my Black and decker BT2500 table saw, but the saw is 25 years old and I'm not having any luck finding one. Is there a universal one on the market that I can make fit? Below is an image of the saw with the provided guard. I suppose I could hack the guard leaving only the knife portion then purchase another guard assembly assuming I can find one. Or perhaps replace the hardware where the plastic guard attaches with a wing nut so it can be quickly and easily removed/replaced.

Old 12-28-20, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
From what I can see, it comes with the guard assembly, and is not an individual part that you can order separately.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/gu...y-p-98715.html

Old 12-29-20, 01:37 PM
M
Right, I don't expect to find one for my specific saw, but was hoping maybe there's a universal one that will fit, or can be safely modified to fit. Seems like maybe the best thing to do is either hack the guard leaving only the knife portion or replace the hardware to make the guard easily removable leaving only the knife for when I need the guard out of the way.

Old 12-29-20, 03:14 PM
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
My saw has a guard/splitter similar to yours. The only time I have to remove it is for non-through cuts (dados) or if I am using a DIY sled that has its own blade guard built in. Why are you considering a replacement riving knife? I found this video useful in understanding why or why not to use one. Kerf width is something I have never had a problem with or considered.

Riving knife video.

Old 12-29-20, 06:40 PM
M
I'm considering a riving knife for safety because I don't like using the guard (it flops around and obstructs my view).

Old 12-30-20, 07:43 PM
M
If the saw measures 23-1/2" front to back (tabletop only), does that mean I have a 25" saw? I'd like to replace the fence and am considering the Vega U26. I want to be sure it fits.

Old 12-31-20, 04:15 PM
M
...trying to decide if it's worth upgrading the fence or if I should get an entirely new saw. Maybe a Sawstop CNS175-TG236. Not awfully expensive and looks fine for hobbiest use.

Old 12-31-20, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 784 Votes on 722 Posts
Now that idea would make sense. Just don't cut any wet or treated wood on it. And you might want to get a spare brake for it for the day it accidentally trips.

Old 12-31-20, 06:33 PM
M
Yeah, I hear ya. Maybe come tax time.

I like the idea of upgrading one of the wings to a cast iron one then mourning my router to the other side. I already purchased a Jessem Router lift. Are the SS contractor saws pretty configurable? If I could mount a piece of plywood to one side for my router lift and use the table saw fence that would be awesome.

Old 12-31-20, 06:41 PM
M
SS makes an in-line router table, which has a cutout for a lift. I'll have to call them to see if my Jessem lift will fit.

Old 01-01-21, 09:36 AM
M
My Jessem router lift will fit the SS table. Except when I add the mobile base, the router table isn't an option unfortunately. My saw has to be mobile because my space is so limited, so I'll have to explore other options. Maybe just a separate router table.

Old 01-04-21, 09:21 AM
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
While surfing the 'Net for more info about riving knives I came across this video that documents a professional's close call with a table saw and tips to avoid problems.

Table saw tips

I found it a useful reminder and judging from the comments it prompted a number of people to install their riving knives.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: