Angle Grinder - Cut off wheel guard?

Old 01-12-21, 02:49 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angle Grinder - Cut off wheel guard?

Hi,

I just purchased the Bosch GWS18V-45. I want to use it for cutting metal fences, angle iron, etc. I bought some 4 1/2" cut off discs to go with it. Reading through the manual, it states that if I want to use the cut off discs, I should use the Type 41/1A Wheel guard.While looking on Bosch's site linked to the left, it states that my model is not compatible.... What are my options? I have the standard wheel guard.

Thank you in advance

Old 01-12-21, 04:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Yes, cutoff wheels tend to grenade more often than thick grinding wheels. They want the other guard to offer more protection. You could always get a grinder compatible with that guard or one that comes with the guard as part of a kit.

If you decide to use your grinder with cutoff wheels always be mindful of where parts will go if it shatters. Imagine extending the disc outward and don't let that plane go anywhere near your face & neck. And of course safety glasses are a minimum and I even like a face shield as well. I can say from experience that shattered disc bits can draw blood.

Old 01-12-21, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Can you return that and get the GWS18V-45C.
Looks like a slightly heavier duty model. Slightly more expensive too.

Old 01-12-21, 07:58 PM
M
I'm aware of the safety measures, I watched a lengthy video going over everything and has made me keenly aware of how dangerous this can be if used incorrectly. I want to use their suggested wheel guard but am confused as to why the manual states that it works but their website says otherwise. I called them and they could not answer so I'll try again tomorrow.

I could buy the more expensive one but it doesn't include the $35 guard.

Old 01-12-21, 11:56 PM
Received 426 Votes on 397 Posts
So the grinder has a guard, I dont know why you would need something additional.

The only difficulty I have is getting the auger/mandrel to fit with the different ID and thicknesses of the grinding wheels and/or abrasive wheels!

Old 01-13-21, 05:43 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
Guards on an angle grinder offer some protection when a grinding wheel or cutoff wheel breaks because the guard is not always between the wheel and the operator when the tool is being used. Therefore additional protection like safety glasses, face masks, gloves, etc., must be used. It has been my experience and observation that when an angle grinder is being used in a repair operation (not a controlled manufacturing operation) the guard is removed due to it being in the way of getting the angle grinder in position to enable the repair. Additionally, sometimes the angle grinder canít be positioned such that the rotation of the wheel throws the sparks away from the operator during the repair. Bottom line is use the guard and additional protection whenever possible.

Old 01-13-21, 06:21 AM
M
It came with a guard but not the one recommended for cut off wheels. I'm not asking if I should use one, I want to, I am wondering what my options are.

Old 01-14-21, 05:16 AM
B
Received 101 Votes on 88 Posts
Having different guards for different abrasive wheels makes no sense since no guard offers 100 percent protection. Speaking of no sense, read American National Standards Institute's document B7.1, Safety Code for the use, care and protection of abrasive wheels. It is a document OSHA imposes on manufacturers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: