Battery vs electric chain saw

Old 01-31-21, 07:42 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Battery vs electric chain saw

I'm at the point that this spring I will need a new chainsaw. i am notoriously BAD at working with Gas engines on such things. (Last summer I traded in my gas powered string trimmer for a battery powered one!) and am now considering either a Corded or Battery chain saw. I'm not a logger, nor will I have a lot of work to do. We have a small 'forest' behind our house and I would use the chainsaw mainly to take down some dead trees (small, 6" or less across) and general clean up.

Looking for input on either the battery type or the corded type. I'm leaning toward corded only because many years ago I owned one and they can be handy in such situations. Additionally, the battery powered string trimmer I purchased has a 40 volt battery that can be used in a matching chain saw. (40 Volt, by Kobalt)

Thanks for your input!!

Old 01-31-21, 10:35 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
When we lived in CA on a 0.25 acre lot that small Black & Decker electric worked fine to cut limbs and sticks. On my current 3 acre lot gas is the only option.

As far as battery, I just dont see that as an option, the last thing I want is to be forced to stop in the middle of a job and charge a battery which I see a chain saw as sucking a lot of juice!

Old 02-01-21, 01:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
My son has a battery weedeater and the matching chainsaw - both came from Lowes. I don't know what volt his is but he likes both units. He doesn't use the chainsaw a lot but it's kept him from having to call me when he needed one.

I have my father's old electric chainsaw, it is stout! I rarely use it because it really can't be used far from the house/shop.

Old 02-01-21, 04:21 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
I went from a gas 18" chainsaw to an EGO 16" 56V and am glad I did. (I'm not familiar with Kobalt 40V but suspect it's not up to EGO 56V.) I have over an acre of woodlands but most of my need involves large branches and smallish trees so, for me, the 16" is perfect. It has plenty of power. It's lightweight which allows me to do a lot without tiring.

As far as battery, I just dont see that as an option, the last thing I want is to be forced to stop in the middle of a job and charge a battery which I see a chain saw as sucking a lot of juice!
I haven't seen this. My chainsaw runs for around 35 minutes between charges which doesn't sound like a lot but it's plenty. Unlike gas, battery use only counts when the trigger is pulled, like with a drill. I'll cut through a 6" branch in under a minute so I can make 40 cuts on one charge.

The battery recharges in 30 minutes so I typically cut away then take a break, stack and reorganize, or sharpen my blade while the battery recharges.

Four final points. First, don't be fooled into thinking battery power isn't up to gas. Today's battery technology is far improved from a decade ago. Second, corded chainsaws constrict you beyond about 50'. Third, if you're concerned about recharge, get a second battery. Fourth, I see Kobalt chainsaws start at 24V but it sounds like you're looking at 40V 4.0ah which should be fine.

Go for it.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-01-21 at 04:56 AM.
Marvinator voted this post useful.
Old 02-01-21, 05:05 AM
Third, if you're concerned about recharge, get a second battery.
If you going to cut twigs they will be fine. Over the past few years I have taken down/cut up many oaks on the property up to 42" dia. I've spent hours per day cutting these up into manageable pieces.

Gas is the only option when your cutting real trees!

Old 02-01-21, 05:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
For information comparing battery chainsaws go to Youtube and search for "Project Farm". Then select videos and look for his review of battery powered chainsaws.

Old 02-01-21, 05:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think anyone is suggesting that a battery saw can do everything a gas saw can do but I can see where it's viable option for some folks.

Old 02-01-21, 07:16 AM
T
If you going to cut twigs they will be fine. Over the past few years I have taken down/cut up many oaks on the property up to 42" dia. I've spent hours per day cutting these up into manageable pieces.

Gas is the only option when your cutting real trees!
I don't have one but understand Tesla is a good vehicle even though it doesn't tow 6 tons. Battery powered chainsaws have their place. I may be wrong but I believe a 14" or 16" battery chainsaw is equivalent to gas powered chainsaws of comparable size.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-01-21 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-01-21, 09:43 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have my father's old electric chainsaw, it is stout! I rarely use it because it really can't be used far from the house/shop.
What brand would that be?

Old 02-01-21, 11:52 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I agree today's battery operated appliances are far better and almost equal gas or electric. What about the replacement cost of a battery when the time comes? Is it worth it.

Don't know why you have bad luck with gas powered items. The only real trick is at the end of season, empty all the gas. If using through out the season buy non-leaded gas and use a gas treatment. And maybe use less per tankful so it doesn't go stale.

Old 02-01-21, 12:28 PM
I'm not dishing the battery tools just that they need to fit the job.

That little electric I had for that small lot worked fine, it's just not going to work on the really big stuff.

I agree, minimal upkeep of the fuel is simple and should not be a reason not to get a gas tool.

My chainsaw, trimer, edger, blower are all gas and I never have any fuel issues!

Old 02-01-21, 01:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
father's old electric chainsaw,
What brand would that be?
If I'm not mistaken it's a McCulloch. I'd have to go out to the barn and double check to say for sure. It's probably 30-40 yrs old.

Old 02-01-21, 01:30 PM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Battery tools have improved a lot in just the last few years. I have an electric pole saw. It has an 8" chain and I use it often for everything up to 3 or 4 inches. The electric starts with the push of a button. I also have an 18" Husqvarna gas saw. The gas saw may take a dozen pulls on the starter rope depending on how it feels that day. The electric gets used way more than the gas saw. Unless you are going to do a lot of felling I would go with the electric.

Old 02-01-21, 01:30 PM
T
Battery replacement is an important issue. I don't know what the life of batteries is but mine has a 3 year warranty. My guess is 100 tank gas fills probably equates to battery cost but that's just a guess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: