Can tire changer from Harbor Freight handle my truck tires?

Old 02-27-21, 12:50 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can tire changer from Harbor Freight handle my truck tires?

Anyone used this manual tire changer from Harbor Freight to change 16 inch pickup tires? I https://www.harborfreight.com/manual...ger-69686.html don't have a concrete floor to bolt it to so I'm wondering if there is another method of securing it. I saw someone on youtube bolt it to a pallet but that looks iffy at best. What would you do?

Old 02-27-21, 02:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I've seen it for sale but don't know anything about it. It's all manual so their will be some effort involved. You'd still need to balance the tires. I'd think you could build a platform to mount it to. The wider/heavier that platform is the better.

Old 02-27-21, 04:43 AM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Not knowing the circumstances and assuming you get a flat tire once in a blue moon, I would opt to take the flat to a tire shop. As already mentioned, the repaired tire should be balanced and that can't be done by the HF tire changer.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-27-21, 07:06 AM
R
Received 42 Votes on 33 Posts
My neighbor uses one on 17" truck tires. He mounts it to one end of a 1-1/8" sheet of plywood about 2 ft wide and 8 ft long. Then he jacks up one wheel on his truck and slides the other end of the plywood under it. It keeps it from any movement. While watching him change tires I noticed that the bar used to install the new tires wasn't all that easy to use. Other than that he seemed to be pleased with the results and he has a wheel balancer also. He claims he had too many problems with tire jockeys messing up his rims so he went to that setup.

Old 02-27-21, 07:57 AM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
I don't see a pallet alone doing the job, but suppose it could work with 3-4 bags of cement setting on it. Or better yet mix up a few bags and pour a concrete pad large enough to anchor it to. I don't have my old Coats tire changer bolted down, but it weighs something in the 400-500 lb. range, and the machine itself does the bulk of the work. With a manual machine you'd be applying a lot of leverage.

Old 02-27-21, 09:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
I've seen tires changed in developing countries with fewer proper tools so I'd say it would work. But, in my mind it's useless without a way to balance the wheel after mounting the tire. So, I just have a tire place or mechanic mount my tires. It's super inexpensive, quick and easy so it's one thing I've never felt the need to do myself.

Old 02-28-21, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
I have the same one sold by a different company and don't recommend it.
I too did not have a suitable slab to anchor it to and anchored it to a RR tie stabilized by the weight of a vehicle.
Even with the weight of a vehicle I struggled to change 13" trailer tires.

Would be good to have a tire changer that costs next to nothing but paying a tire shop to do this is a bargain IMO.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: