56v EGO battery charging best practices?

Old 04-24-21, 08:52 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
56v EGO battery charging best practices?

So I just bought an EGO cordless lawn mower with the 7.5ah battery. My question is on best charging practices to help extend the life of the battery.

1. My garage gets pretty warm in the summer. Would it be best to keep my charger indoors so it is not charging in the heat? (pretty sure the answer to this is yes, just wanted opinions)

2. I read somewhere that if you leave it plugged in all the time, it will self discharge down to 30%? If thats the case do I need to remember to take it off and put it back on the charger before I mow? Preferably I'd like it to be just ready to go at anytime. I will probably get one or two more tools that use this tool so it would be good to have it full all the time

3. I can put it on a smart plug and schedule it to be on or off at any given time. Would it help to maybe have it only power on once a day for an hour to keep it topped off? Or would that just be going against the natural charging practices they had in mind?

Thanks, any opinions would help!

Old 04-24-21, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,510 Votes on 1,397 Posts
Using multiple tools that share the same battery is a great idea. It's usually best to have two batteries. This way you could be working using one and the other one could be charging. Some heat for batteries is not bad. Excessive heat is.

IN MY OPINION
Charge the battery after use.
Don't leave it on charger over one day.
You could top off the charge every thirty days or so of non use. Don't recharge every day.
Don't coddle the battery pack.
Use it hard so that it comes close to full discharge but try not to discharge completely every time.

Old 04-24-21, 10:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
1. Yes, high heat is bad for batteries in storage and during charging.

2. This depends on the charger. Most often if a battery is left on a charger long term the charger will keep the battery topped off. Some charger will enter and automatic storage mode where they will discharge the battery down to a long term storage voltage that minimizes the batteries degradation with age.

3. No, if leaving the battery on the charger it's best to leave the charger powered so it can do its thing.

Old 04-24-21, 10:46 AM
P
Thanks! This is some good info. Someone else also told me that lithium chargers can be a fire hazard when charging so maybe keeping indoors wouldn't be safe?

Old 04-24-21, 12:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 896 Votes on 826 Posts
Some lithium batteries like soft pack LiPo's can be fussy and a bit of a fire hazard but the cells used in cordless tools are a safer technology and have a lot of protections built in. Outdoors is probably best but charging indoors on a non flammable surface is OK like: on a concrete floor, a old steel cookie sheet, scrap of Hardie backer or piece of sheetrock. When they burn it's usually a whole lot of really stinky smoke and not much flame.

Old 04-24-21, 05:18 PM
P
I have a small narrow room behind our TV wall in the basement that I left unfinished where I mostly keep the networking equipment and such. I thought about keeping it in there, even mounting it on the concrete foundation wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: