Dremel Variable Speed Switch Gone

Old 09-23-21, 08:21 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Dremel Variable Speed Switch Gone

I have an 8 years old Dremel rotary tool (actually is a Dremel made by a Canadian tools company) and the VS switch is not working. Although the tool is old I havenít use it very much and its like new. I open it up to see if I can do anything, perhaps changing the switch myself, but the switch looks like its part of an assembly attached to the top of the motor. I look at this site
https://www.amazon.ca/Pink-Lizard-Va.../dp/B01HWJAD4O

and the switch is available for CAD$ 17.69.
Has anyone done such a repair?

Old 09-23-21, 09:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,952 Votes on 2,664 Posts
That new switch assembly doesn't look 100% the same but it should work.
There are only a few wiring connections.

Old 09-23-21, 01:07 PM
I was reading to find out more about availability of this switch and I found this nice video where the guy had done this job, most helpful.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kupXDNmyTsM

However one of the comments below the video someone posted that he cleaned the motor brushes and that solved his problem. I did the same on mine including sanding lightly the contacts in the armature and now my tool works at only one speed which luckily is the speed I prefer (about half way the range). In addition another comment on the video said he had received the switch without brushes + the switch was for 220VAC. I will not order the switch right away but when I do I will make sure the switch is for 120VAC and includes the brushes (mine are like new but I don’t know if the will fit in the holes of the new switch)

Old 09-23-21, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,952 Votes on 2,664 Posts
Make sure you do a search if you need that variable control.
There are many places selling that exact one and similar ones for a lot less money.

I have several Dremels and none have ever needed service. You would have to use the tool very hard to have worn brushes. Heck.... I had one my friend beat the life out of it and it never failed. The variable speed control sections are not made as well as the ones in the past. Definitely more common for the speed control to fail.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-23-21 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-23-21, 07:24 PM
Thanks Pete,

I couldn’t find any other similar switch so I order it (from the link I posted above) despite the confusing comment I read from other users like no its for 220VAC or no brushes are included etc. but some had positive comments like it works well and the brushes were included. Heck for CAD $18.00 shipping included I will take my chance. Delivery is mid to late October

If that doesn’t work I’m thinking to take a chance and remove the VS switch, hard wire the motor and use a VS router controller I have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: