Remove Dremel VS Switch

Old 10-20-21, 08:36 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Remove Dremel VS Switch

The VS switch in my Dremel is gone and I wonder if there is way to bypass (remove) the VS switch and connect the power straight to the motor brushes and then use a router speed control I have to control the speed.

The pictures shows the motor with the VS module plugged at the end. This module has 4 pins plugging into the motor.

One solution I see possible (without much knowledge on motors) is to use a jumper wire to connect terminals A & D and this will put the White wire into one brush. Then I will remove the VS switch connections from terminal B and jumper again terminals B & C and that will put the Black wire into the other brush. However since I now changed the 4 pins layout plugging into the motor I have no idea if the above will work.

Another solution is to cut the 2 connection from the switch and splice the 2 connection together but again by removing the switch electronics from the motor I donít know what happens.

Any better ideas?
Thanks

Old 10-20-21, 11:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,944 Votes on 2,657 Posts

If D is the white from the power cord and B is the black from the power cord....
white wire goes to A and the black wire goes to C.

kolias voted this post useful.
Old 10-20-21, 01:06 PM
Understand what you are saying Pete and makes sense to me, thanks, however I try to understand the principal of how this module works to feel comfortable before I plug in the tool with the new changes.

As per attached picture what boils down is that now the D & B pins going into the motor supplying power (on the B the Black wire goes first thru the VS Switch and then into the motor) and then from the motor that power goes back to the brushes thru the pins A & C. In other words we are doing the opposite and Iím afraid we will burn the motor? Sorry for my ignorance

Old 10-20-21, 01:32 PM
Group Moderator
You have a four terminal controller module.
Do the two power go to two terminals and the other two go to the brushes ?

Old 10-20-21, 02:47 PM
Yes this is true

Old 10-20-21, 04:29 PM
Group Moderator
Then what I previously wrote should be ok.

Old 10-20-21, 04:56 PM
Thanks Pete, I will give it a try tomorrow

Old 10-20-21, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Just thinking.... if you have a small fuse around.... maybe 2A..... put that inline as a safety for the test.

Old 10-20-21, 08:09 PM
Very good idea Pete and I will do it.

However I was also thinking to power the tool thru the router speed controller I have (shown in my first post pictures) because without the VS switch this tool will spin at 30K RPM. Is it a good idea to use this router speed controller?

How about to do a resistance test with my ohms meter? I only know to test ohms & volts so if if its a good idea please let me know.

Thanks

Old 10-21-21, 11:19 AM
I decided not to proceed with the repair Pete and I’m very sorry I wasted your time. I guess as we get older we also become more cautious and when it comes to electricity I’m smart enough to know the dangers involved.

In addition I discover the connection from pin A to the brush housing was cracked and there was no continuation between pin A and the brush housing. I could have solder the two together but my solder, regardless how small, would have prevent the module cover to snap in place.

I’m very sorry again Pete

Old 10-21-21, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Not a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: