Imprecise small--cheap--CNC

Old 12-18-21, 02:14 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Imprecise small--cheap--CNC

I'm looking to make a somewhat spherical figurine of 10-14", preferably empty (so just making the outer part of the shape), I'm thinking in foam from multiple small parts (ie dodecahedron) which I'd paint then glue their edge together; maybe in soft plastic or lightweight wood. I just need a rough beginning and I'd finish the rest manually (ie with a box cutter or chisel) ; so the tool doesn't need to be precise, I can set the CNC to be just outside the wiggle room (or whatever the name of the maximum distance from the precise point the machine is set to be at is, in this example

wiggle room
(also here) the green line is the precise point and the wiggle room edge is the red line). I'd really prefer if the CNC software could import usual 3D models (perhaps something of either
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2603046
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/eyebot
https://pinshape.com/items/21378-3d-...lout-new-vegas
), but worse case I could also put in hours to learn to make my own as long as it's a reasonable number of.

I'd prefer the CNC to use a regular cheap rotary tool on which I could fashion a solid fastener. I have no experience in electronics nor the kind of software on which they're controlled but as long as it doesn't take too long for the average person to learn them, I'm willing to learn.

I'm hoping to have something near the bottom of the price-range for such a tool.

I'd appreciate your advice or feedback.

Last edited by DynVec; 12-18-21 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-18-21, 03:29 PM
Received 947 Votes on 860 Posts
I just need a rough beginning and I'd finish the rest manually (ie with a box cutter or chisel)
So your defining a box cutter or chisel as a finishing tool vs a CNC machine tool?

Old 12-18-21, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,955 Votes on 2,666 Posts
Not sure what all the links are about. They are showing 3D printed objects and you are discussing CNC which is a basically a computerized rotor.

You want to cut foam with a CNC machine ?
How many pieces ?
A picture of a finished or similar item would be helpful.

Old 12-18-21, 03:56 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't seem to be able to quote; maybe it's because of my low # of posts.

Marq1 The CNC would run 2, maybe 3, times when I finish/get it then once a year, maybe twice, and the result is only to be seen by me and 1 other person IRL that I don't need to impress. What's the use in putting more money in it for that? Unless of course having a better machine would cost little more.

PJmax
"You want to cut foam with a CNC machine ?"
Or as in the OP "maybe in soft plastic or lightweight wood".

"How many pieces ?"
I mentioned the overall # of figurines above, and I mentioned in the OP "(ie dodecahedron)", so 10-16 each I think, unless I need to make a bigger piece, which I doubt.

"A picture of a finished or similar item would be helpful"
You already got the answer as you mentioned "all the links [...] are showing 3D printed objects" and I mentioned "'I'm looking to make a somewhat spherical figurine [...] multiple small parts (ie dodecahedron) which I'd [...] glue their edge together".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: