What is every ones "Go-To" for a cordless drill-driver these days?

Old 03-04-22, 07:39 AM
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Question What is every ones "Go-To" for a cordless drill-driver these days?

I'm mostly interested in a cordless screw driver, I had a Worx WX254 (I loved the bit cartridge) but the charger port broke so it is useless now!

Not tied to any brand yet as I use corded power tools (I'm old school LoL!) but I need a cordless screw driver to take apart things I find outside and working on small projects in the house where a hand screw driver would wear me out with the amount of screws needed on some things now!

The Worx was OK for this but was lacking power sometimes charger port is a small & fragile 2.5MM jack! I want something more durable as well possibly with a user replaceable battery

I don't need any fancy lights or other gadgets but a battery gauge can be helpful

Looking to spend between $50-$100 for a tool with a battery & charger.

Thanks

Old 03-04-22, 08:16 AM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
I am still using my 10 year old Dewalt 18V cordless tools, batteries are still available.

And knowing I could use another for this summers garage project I just picked up a "like new" slightly newer drill for $20 off FB.

Doesn't always have to be the latest and greatest.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.
Old 03-04-22, 08:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 680 Votes on 601 Posts
I agree, I have a 19.2 volt craftsman. I think I'm on the 3rd drill and all but one of my batteries are now lithium. I also have several other tools that take the same battery. I was pleasantly surprised how much more power the 19.2 had compared to my old 9.6 drill. I couldn't imagine going back to a smaller cordless drill.

Old 03-04-22, 08:33 AM
I am still using my 10 year old Dewalt 18V cordless tools, batteries are still available.
I have an old Dewalt DW927 Type 1 12V drill the batteries are DW9072 and I see they are still available as third party packs

In the past I have bought 3rd party laptop battery packs and they were trash that is why I didn't mention this drill but I should have, sorry.

I don't need or want the latest or greatest as well it does work just needs a new battery pack.

Old 03-04-22, 08:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Votes on 1,412 Posts
At work I use Bosch which is quite expensive but at home I use Ryobi (Home Depot) 18v for the past 3 years and have been very pleased. I have the; cordless drill, impact driver, circular saw, reciprocating saw, flashlight and chain saw. They all use the same batteries. I have both the smaller and larger battery packs. I mostly use the smaller packs in the drill, impact driver and flashlight and use the larger packs in the other tools.

Old 03-04-22, 09:59 AM
Received 595 Votes on 532 Posts
If it's for occasional use I would just go to Lowes or HD and get what they have. None of them will be as good as what you had and expect at best 5 years.

Old 03-04-22, 10:31 AM
I got the Worx in 2015 and it was in service up until like 2 weeks ago when I went to plug it in and the charger port broke so 7 years is not bad.

Does anyone think I should get a replacement battery pack for my Dewalt drill? I don't think the real OEM (Dewalt branded) packs are made anymore and I see them for as cheap as $10 and as high a $65! but they are all probably the same crap just a different name on the pack like most Chinese stuff made these days.

It can get used like 3 or 4 times a week and then just sit for a week or 2 but I want it to work when I need it and the Worx always did until it broke Ni-CD batteries can go dead just from sitting!

I'll go to Home Depot and see what they have as the closest Lowes is out of my usual travels.

Old 03-04-22, 10:53 AM
If it uses lithium-ion batteries (and nowadays most do) the charge will hold for a long, long time.
Again, as I mentioned in several other post, if you like your old battery powered tools but the batteries are not worth the price of new ones, consider the BISWAY system. It's been several years now since I bought that system and the old batteries that would not take a charge from the original charger are still being used with good retention from the Bisway unit. But I also bought the lithium-ion batteries with the charger.
Amazon.com: Biswaye
And no, I have no connection with them. But I wish I had!

Old 03-04-22, 10:58 AM
If it uses lithium-ion batteries (and nowadays most do) the charge will hold for a long, long time.
Yep I I know but I think I'm going to get a new one then as this is from 2002 or so and the pack is a Ni-Cd one unless I can get a Lithium pack for this and I'll need a new charger then so might as well get a new tool while I'm at it!

Old 03-04-22, 11:09 AM
What you say it true. But if you really like the tool (as I did with my Craftsman combo drill set, it was the 3/8 reversable variable speed with the right-angle drill also), the cost of the Bisway, was cheaper in the long run than a new tool that may only come with one or two batteries. I now have 4 batteries at my disposal, and I keep the charger plugged in indefinitely.
The key word or phrase here is, do you really want to give up the old tool for a new one?

Old 03-04-22, 11:40 AM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
and I see they are still available as third party packs
​​​​​​​I don't think the real OEM (Dewalt branded) packs are made anymore
Personally I stick with OEM, the non-availability of OE batteries would be the tipping point, those off brand will never last as long.

I cant say what they do/do not make, just got to look them up. I came across a supper deal of the 18V XRP on eBay a year ago. A guy was selling 2-packs for $50 something, I bought (2) 2-packs, broke one up and sold individual for $50 each and kept 2. I love getting stuff for free!

Old 03-04-22, 11:42 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 285 Posts
I've always liked my Dewalt tools (and Bosch when I can afford them). But I have pretty much switched over to Ryobi. I don't use them every day, and the cost savings is significant enough that I can usually get 2 Ryobi tools for the price of one Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc. Plus, the Ryobi tools all use interchangeable battery packs, which makes them even less expensive.

I realize the quality isn't as good, but Ryobi has a nice electric screwdriver for $40.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-4-...P44L/205975772
Really, you can't go wrong at that price!

Old 03-17-22, 10:22 AM
Just thought I'd post and update I made a decision and I'm going to get This Milwaukee M12 Cordless screw driver!

A bit more then I wanted to spend but hopefully with my occasional use it will last me along time, plus I can get other M12 tools down the line not a bad price to 2 batteries, tool and charger as well.

Old 03-17-22, 10:42 AM
Good choice, although I would prefer a cylindrical style in terms of a cordless s crew driver. Any drill can be used as driver, but the long cylindrical type is closer to a true screwdriver and feel more comfortable in doing a number of screws such as removing a cover plate with a gasket or similar.

Old 03-17-22, 11:09 AM
Well I'm used to the "gun" shaped tools as the Worx was also shaped like this as well. I did not actually get it yet but when I get to the store I'll try the display models as well to see which one I like but I'm probably going to get that one.

Old 03-17-22, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 596 Votes on 512 Posts
I think that Milwaukee will work well for you. I use all Milwaukee for work (Shop supplied) and DeWalt at home, both 18-20V. It is just how it has worked out. I like both brands and both perform similarly. For installing screws, machine or otherwise, I use an impact gun. Rarely does it strip out screws and does a great job. I only use a drill for making holes in something.

Old 03-20-22, 04:50 PM
I use an impact gun.
That is what I ended up with!

So I ended up with This Ryobi One 18V Impact driver!

So far I like it but I have to be delicate on the trigger for some of my smaller projects!

My friend said 1/4" hex drill bits exist I'll pick up a set at Harbor Freight as I mostly drill into soft woods or plastic very rarely metals or masonry.

Old 03-20-22, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 596 Votes on 512 Posts
Also, pick up a magnetic bit holder. I find having a magnetic tip to be very handy.

Old 03-20-22, 06:17 PM
magnetic bit holder
I already have a bunch of those already that I've picked up over the years and yes they do come in handy!

Old 03-21-22, 02:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 680 Votes on 601 Posts
My friend said 1/4" hex drill bits exist I'll pick up a set at Harbor Freight as I mostly drill into soft woods or plastic very rarely metals or masonry.
I have a bunch of them that came with various bit sets. I'm not overly fond of them. They are handy but I've broke most of the small ones and the larger ones seem like they wobble [might be why it's so easy to break the small ones]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: