OLD Air compressor......

Old 07-05-24, 10:48 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OLD Air compressor......

My mom has told me that I can have the old air compressor that has been passed down from my Great Grandfather, to my Grandfather, to my Dad (who passed a couple years ago).

It's been in the storage shed for several years and I have no clue when the last time it was used was.

​​​​​It's still in the shed at her house.

Where do I begin trying to do any maintenance? Does it need oiled or anything like that? I've never owned on before.

Also, I don't believe it has an air tank. Can I buy JUST a tank and connect it to the compressor?

Old 07-05-24, 11:12 AM
A
Received 127 Upvotes on 110 Posts
probably need more information or a picture not uncommon for tanks to rust out if it did have one.

Old 07-05-24, 11:28 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'll have to wait until I get it out of the shed before I post any pictures. I was looking for some general advice on things to look for regarding maintenance needs.

Other than using one to spray off the workbenches in my high school shop class (30 years ago), I've never used an air compressor myself.

Old 07-05-24, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
You can buy a new tank that could cost as much as a complete unit.
You can look around on local sales sites like Craigs List and Facebook sales.

Old 07-05-24, 02:50 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
We don't know enough to advise you. It all depends on what the compressor is, it's condition and whether or not you'll have a real use for it. With some good pictures we'll be able to get an idea of what's needed to get it back into useful order.

Some old machinery is worth it's weight in gold. It was built heavy in a time before planned obsolescence. Old machines do wear out but usually can be repaired and kept running almost forever. New machines/tools are often designed for a limited lifespan. When they break or wear out they are designed to be thrown away.

If you were just wanting a compressor to use in your shop we'd probably say go buy a new one. But a family heirloom tool is a different story. You might spend almost as much as a new compressor on a tank for your old compressor but then it could be useful for many more decades to come and could be passed down to the next generation.

---
My mother died a last year so a lot of time has been spent sorting through old photos, family pictures... Write down whatever you know and attach it. Your compressor, I'd write down the history as you know it and laminate it or put in a sturdy envelope you attach to the compressor. Generations from now someone may want to know that they are the 4th or 8th generation to be using this family tool.

CircuitBreaker voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: