Air compressor oil.

Old 08-16-01, 01:07 PM
Question

I need air compressor oil in my Home Depot 5 hp, 60 gal air compressor, because it is slighty low (for reasons unknown to me). I filled it 5 years ago and it runs at least twice a week, so maybe it just get used up.

My question is about oil. Is the air compressor oil, the same as air tool oil? It's easy to find air tool oil, but hard to find the other.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-01, 09:36 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
Air tool oil is light as is the air compressor oil but both do similer things they are very differant. You should not use tool oil in compressor, compressor oil gets very hot, tool oil just goes in and out to lubricate the tool......should the oil break down under heat it could do harm to your compressor.....in a pinch you could add a little but should change all the oil out as soon as you find "air compressor oil" Good Luck...If we take good care of our tools they will take care of us........

Old 08-17-01, 10:39 AM
Thank you very much for the reply!

Lugnut

Old 08-17-01, 03:53 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hi Mark !

Your HD "Husky" compressor is probably a DeVilbiss in disguise, as is my Craftsman. My Craftsman (oilless though) says "Certified by the DeVilbiss Air Power Company..ASHRAE certified tank". Nah, not a giveaway who makes Sears stuff is it? Lol.

I found the folks at DV very helpful when I called. I believe their URL is http://www.devap.com.

They have many of the model #s on their website. You can download the user's guides. The oil recommendations are likely to be found in there. I'm surprised the label on the unit doesn't say what you need and in what quantity.

DO NOT use motor oil in air tools. It can and WILL gum it up. Only air tool oil!

Hope that helps. Where ya been?

Old 08-17-01, 04:11 PM
Hi Joe,

I've been keeping busy. Got laid off and now am going back to school full time. It was no surprise. Glad to see you are still helping everyone out. Keep up the good work!

Lugnut

Old 08-20-01, 09:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you find work quickly and good luck in your endeavors and education. Can't go wrong.

I too have been very busy between things around the house and cars. Been getting ready to do the interior over on my 1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am. A company finally stepped up to the plate and makes a reproduction of it. That, coupled with the million other various things I have to do have been keeping me busy .

Take care.