Drill Bit Sharpeners

Old 08-20-01, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations for bench top sharpeners for non commercial use? I have been looking at
a couple of the Drill Doctor models but haven't talked with anyone who owns or has used one. Another novice question. One of their models indicates it'll sharpen at both 118* and at 135*. Why the difference? I don't ever recall seeing the "degree" when purchasing a new drill.

Thanks

Old 08-20-01, 08:46 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Sandy2000

Some models of drill bit sharpeners are designed for sharpening specialty bits with specific angles. Most often this bits are not steel bits.

For non commerical useage, the Drill Doctor and Darex are both excellent choices. Rather expensive machines for the average user but very good ones.

For the causal user in a home garage or shop, almost any bench top sharpener will do fine.

For further information, contact Darex directly:
1-800-547-0222

Regards and Good Luck
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.
Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything,
except your mind and your wits."

Old 09-04-01, 12:03 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hi Sandy2000

I think you would be wise to know just what all you want to use a "bench top" sharpener to do....drills bits only? or do you want to use a grinder with a drill bit sharpening tool add on? with a little time you can do a great job and stll have a grinder for other jobs.....If you find that this is to much of a job maybe one of the drill sharpeners would be OK but a lot for so little....How many drill bits do you need to sharpen? would it be cost wise? most of us do not need such a fine sharpening on all the bits we use....but must work well when used...Good Luck

Old 09-06-01, 06:19 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by sandy2000
Another novice question. One of their models indicates it'll sharpen at both 118* and at 135*. Why the difference? I don't ever recall seeing the "degree" when purchasing a new drill.
Carbon steel and stainless steel drill bits have a different pitch (angle). All it is saying is it can sharpen bits for both stainless steel and carbon steel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: