How to change a timing belt?

Old 09-05-01, 08:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I am trying to replace the timing belt (drive belt) on a Craftsman Dual-Motion Sander (Model 315.22401), but cannot figure out how to do it. It appears that I need a special spanner wrench to remove a spanner nut, but neither Sears parts center nor Sears retail can advise me on where I can get this wrench. The wrench would be similar to the one used to repair Delta faucets or to loosen/tighten a similar nut on a Makita power tool, except that the prongs on the wrench need to be 3/4" on center. I have tried using a hammer and punch to loosen the nut, but have been unable to do so. Any ideas on what to would be appreciated.

William

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-01, 03:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you tried to find it on Sears parts Direct?

http://www.sears.com and then parts. You can plug in your model # and give it a whirl.

If not, call them at 1-800-366-7278. They should be able to help you out if there are available service tools.

Someone makes that for Sears, so you might want to start e-mailing the major companies that make sanders and figure out who is making it for them. They are likely to know what is required.

Old 09-05-01, 06:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I purchased the belt from Sears PartsDirect and I have the parts diagram that came with the sander (same diagram on PartsDirect), but it shows no special tool to remove the spanner nut. I called the 800 number and they told me I should go to the nearest Sears repair center (which is 80 miles round trip). That's what I was trying to avoid in the first place because the cost will probably exceed the value of the sander. It is listed as a commercial sander and was made in 1968, back when they actually made the case out of metal -- it looks like die cast aluminum with a brushed non-glare finish, it is 100% ball bearings, and the nameplate says it develops 1/2 hp with 4400 strokes/min. These all probably exceed sander they sell today.

I think I will take the sander to the Sears repair center. Maybe they can at least tell me if they have a tool or where I can get one. I am also going to check at another tool repair shop.

Old 09-09-01, 01:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try to find out who made it for Sears. Look up some major sander companies, furnish the model # to them and inquire.

I have done this with many things Sears I own.

For instance, Sears Parts Direct could not help me with parts for my 1960 Craftsman Rollaway mechanic's toolchest which I picked up at an estate sale. As you say, old is good, and such is the case with this oldie I got for 50 bucks. It is built like a fortress . Even has ball bearing roller drawers on the bottom (very rare for 1960!) A whopping 90 bucks new. Yes, I have the original catalog ad for it.

But, a little research led me to Waterloo Industries in Iowa, who was and still is Sears' vendor on these items.

One phone call and I had every available part that I needed for it. I had to have some parts made they no longer make, but other than that, they had what I needed. And, Sears probably still sells the parts but since I couldn't get a hold of a model # from Sears, I had to go the back road through Waterloo.

This next time around, I bought a model that was a current Sears Sku # and figured I'd go to Waterloo again. No dice...if it shows up in Parts Direct, Waterloo directs you back there for parts...which Sears marks up. Because my chest was so old the first time, Sears doesn't stipulate I have to go to them for parts. When it's this old they are probably not concerned about it.

Old 09-16-01, 04:22 AM
Check with Ryobi or Singer. From previous responses I have learned the prefix numbers refers to the mfg. The 315
prefix from Sears had been referenced to those manufacturers in previous replies. Good Luck!