Window Bench

Old 09-19-01, 01:14 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Does anyone know where I can get simple plans for building a window bench in our master bedroom. I am new at wood working and need some simple.
Thanks for any help,
Gordon

Old 09-20-01, 02:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Don't know of any off hand. I have seen a few in some woodworking books. But if you want an easy way out, go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy some unfinished, prefab cabinets to use as your building blocks. One or two of the units that typically go over a refrigerator make an excellent base for the seat portion. Then you could get taller units to go on either side if you wish to provide extra storage and a place to set lamps, pictures, etc. Build a simple box base for each unit to set the cabinets on and screw them down to the floor/wall and connect them together to make a rigid window seat structure.

Secure 3/4 hardwood ply to the top of the seat portion along with tops on any side units you use. You don't even have to put hinges on the top since you have cabinet doors in the front. Finish it as desired. Cover a piece of thick foam cut to size for the seat, put some lamps on the side units and you have a window seat.

Note: If you have a central air vent where you are going to place the window seat, you will need to provide space in the base you build for the heat and air to enter into the room. You can either buy duct made for that purpose or just build a channel in the base that directs the air to an opening in the toe kick area of the base that you build. You can get little vents made for use in cabinet toe kick areas.

Also, check out some woodworking books for ideas and search the web for "window seats".

Good luck.

Old 09-23-01, 01:27 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
Do you have a Bay window you want to install the seat/bench in or is it going to be if front of a window on a flat wall....?
If it is going to be on a flat wall do you want it to have storage? like a window seat or do you want just a bench?
you you get back to us we can help you come up with a plan you will like....Thanks and ...Good Luck

Old 09-25-01, 01:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink window seat,bench

This is to hello!
Can you help me out with plans? It is not a flat wall. It dips in then goes flat.
Thanks,
Gordon
530-542-9185

Old 09-25-01, 05:49 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
I would love to help.... how big do you want to make it? Do you want to have a cushion to sit on? how wide is the window you will set it in front of? do you want it that long or longer/shorter? 24" front to back and 18" to 20" high and as long as you want.....It can look like a chest with the top opening or you can have it look like a low cabinet with doors that can slide or swing open, are you going to stain or paint it? a little more information and we can go to started..........Thanks

Old 09-25-01, 05:52 PM
Visiting Guest
At least 6' and I want to stain it.
Thanks,
Gordon
Waiting for your reply. Can you make plans for me?

Old 09-25-01, 06:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello

If, you want I could take a picture and send it to you. But, I would need your email address? How much will this cost me? I will get more measurements if needed.
Thanks again,
Gordon

Old 09-25-01, 07:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello

Please leave your email address. I tried to make a drawing to email to you. It is not very good but,I tried.
Thanks,
Gordon

Old 09-25-01, 07:16 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello Gordon
give me a day or two and I will have some thing for you to work with.......Done Right

Old 09-26-01, 05:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you

To Done Right
Thanks

Old 10-01-01, 04:33 PM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello GClarke
I have been looking through what I have nothing seems quite right...Do you want the seat to look built in, nailed to the wall or like a chest setting next to the wall....do you wwant moldings and trim or more of a box with a cushion on top? I am working on my doityourself.com e-mial address now as soon as it is working I will let you know....Thanks and Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: