rust removal from steel using citric acid

Old 11-03-01, 06:38 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a steel wok (chinese cooking pot) that has rusted badly. Have tried using coarse steel wool with no real effect. I know there is a way to do it with citric acid, it dissolves the rust, but not sure how.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-01, 05:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Naval jelly or a rust resolver will neutralize and remove the rust (NJ is phosphoric acid I believe).

Not sure that I would use that on something I was going to eat out of though .

Might want to try some commercial grade food approved cleaners or check with some local restaurants to see what they use.

Old 11-20-01, 12:15 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Hi;
There are several removers on the market. The best thing to do is go to a Restaurant Supply store and inquire as to what they use or recommend. BTW, is the steel wool you are using Stainless or regular ? I have had great success with Stainless wool.
If you know the brand name of the wok, contact the manufacturer, as several companies discourage the use of some commercial cleaners as harmful to their product.
I would advise against using NJ as it may leave some residue which will be toxic. Great stuff, just not on cooking ware.
Consumer Reports may even be able to give some help here or even some of the cooking websites. Who knows, BAM!!!
Good Luck in saving the wok!

Old 11-25-01, 10:32 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Wok

If this is a steel Wok like my iron skillets I would take it to a sand blaster and have it cleaned. I find old skillets at garrage sales etc, have them blasted and then re-treat them. Are you sure it's steel and not iron? Anyway, sand blaster removes rust and no caustic chemicals to be worried about.