Cutting plexi-glas

Old 12-05-01, 12:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Cutting plexi-glas

Hello;

This is my first time in "DO IT YOURSELF.COM" so please inform me if I am off track . My question is - What is the best tool to cut 1/4" plexi-glas. I am looking for a clean finished edge. Sanding the edge makes it white and I am looking for a more clear edge. Will the Roto-Zip or a router with a straight bit be the best solution for my question? Any info will be appreciated..
LaPAINTMAN

Old 12-06-01, 02:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LaPAINTMAN,
Just about any high speed bit will also leave the white edging, because the tool is 'melting' the plastic as it cuts. 1/8 inch can be multi-scored with a razor blade cutter for a fairly clean edge, but I'm not sure it will work on 1/4 inch.
fred

Old 12-06-01, 03:53 AM
G
You've got me going way back in the time machine to my junior high school shop class. To polish the edge you're going to need a buffing wheel and some red jeweler's rouge. You should find one that will fit in an electric drill. Use a fine grade of sandpaper to get the edge as smooth as possible. Start the drill up and let the buffing wheel touch the rouge. After getting some of the jeweler's rouge on the wheel, start running the wheel up and down the edge of the plexiglass.

Old 12-06-01, 02:57 PM
S
For a cut with less heat, use a heavy duty plexi cutter which can be purchased from a home center store such as HD. IT will be the one with the black handle handle shaped to fit the palm of your hand. Score against straight edge through roughly 6 times. place the score at the edge of a table and push down to the side of the score to snap the plexi. A plexi edge will look less clear than the top as the same holds true with a clear piece of glass that is polished with a buffer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: