Cordless Drill Purchase ?

Old 12-18-01, 10:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Cordless Drill Purchase ?

I noticed that the threads on this forum about what Cordless Drill to buy are from 1999 and I thought I'd like an update before buying one for a Christmas present.

I'm not sure if I should get a 3/8" or 1/2" but I was looking at DeWalt or Makita 12V or maybe 14.4 V. My husband is quite the handyman and would use it to build a shed, fence, deck, finish the basement - BOY does he have a 'Things To Do' list.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Elizabeth.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-01, 12:20 PM
If he is going to build, my suggestion is for at least a 14.4. Light enough to carry around up high yet strong enough to drive long screws. Purchase a contractor grade model such as Makita or Dewalt with a 3/8 or 1/2" chuck. The 3/8 is a sufficient choice especially if he has a 1/2 chuck on a corded drill to use when needed. 1/2" chuck is not as necessary as larger drill bits are avialable to fit the 3/8 chuck. .....A 12 will handle most uses for the DIY handyman however it starts to lag for building projects. An 18 volt drill will power through most any job however it can get heavy fast when working overhead and it doesn't fit into tight spots as well as the smaller. Lastly purchase an extended life battery as it gets very frustrating to have one battery in the charger and the other battery dead. For a great deal on a refurbished dewalt's with full warranty, click on www.ubid.com

Old 12-20-01, 11:58 PM
i own 1 dewalt18v and 2 porter cable 16.4 or whatever.the dewalt is a high powered devil but the pc are just as strong... just dont last as long.if your not in a hurry i would say pc but....i really like my dewalt

Old 12-22-01, 03:25 AM
I would suggest either the Dewalt or Miketa. Not Porter Cable. They are going through restructuring and have just sold the company. I have both a 14 and 18 volt. The 18 volt is the best.
It is rellay a good one. Get two batteries. Good Luck

Old 12-22-01, 02:27 PM
Jxofaltrds
Visiting Guest
I am not trying to spend your money!
Look at some of the kits before you buy.
The only cordless thatI do not have is the resp. saw. The cost is have of a whole kit.
I say this because you say he is "quite the handyman".
No less than a 14.4v.
Just a thought.

Old 12-22-01, 03:43 PM
Handyman makes a great point. The kits are great deal and very useful. It's alot easier to pull out the cordless circular or reciprocating saw for a quick chore instead of pulling extension cords around. Handyman if your running the Dewalt system then check out ebay where you can pick up a reciprocating saw without charger or battery for a very reasonable price. It's well worth having it around.