Cordless power tools

Old 01-11-02, 02:37 AM
Cordless power tools

I recently purchased a Ryobi cordless combination tool set. It includes an 18Volt cordless drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw & flashlight.

I'm not a professional but I do like to do some stuff on my own. I tried researching it prior to buying it and there was very little stuff out there. The few reviews I saw actually rated it well. They seem to rate the Dewalt & Milwaukee somewhat better but for the non professional such as myself I don't feel the difference warranted the significant difference in price.

What is your opinon & what is the actually differences between the Dewalt & Milwaukee 18v cordless drills (& other tools) versus the Ryobi in terms of why one is "better" & how much better are they in practice?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-02, 03:04 AM
You are correct the Milwalkee and the DeWalt are more of a "pro" quality. They are heavier duty for a lot of day to day use. For the DIY'r, get what you feel works the best for you. I tend to buy my tools from either somewhere that has reconditioned tools, or go to the local pawn shops and find them there. I occasionaly work with the local Habitat for Humanity chapter and I seem to be the "tool" guy when I work there and people ask to use my tools. That's where you see the difference. Also these are the brands that tool rental places use because they are heavier duty. When you go that route, the price point gets a lot closer.

Old 01-11-02, 03:48 AM
rs_petty
Visiting Guest
I too bought the 18v Ryobi deal - see my posts under the Ryobi topic. From what I have read there are 2 schools of thought on tools. One is only buy the best, the other is buy what is good enough for intended use. I go back and forth between these 2 paradigms when I am trying to chose a new tool. I thought long and hard about the PC 19.2v systems - attractive because of the number of tools using the same power system, but finally settled on the Ryobi because I wanted to use the cost difference for something else. My fear in cordless tools is not the tool itself but the weak link is usually the charger or the battery. I think, based on reading a lot of forums, the major contractor grade brands are just as susceptible to failures in these areas as the less expensive brands. Given that, I look forward to good service from these particular Ryobi tools.

Old 01-11-02, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the info.

In terms of being heavy duty - exactly what is better - More Torque? They seem to be rated about the same. Do you mean they will last longer when subjected to repeated daily use? Exactly what makes one "heavier Duty" than the other? Thanks.

Old 01-11-02, 03:57 AM
rs_petty

Thanks I checked out your post on Ryobi & found it helpful

Old 01-11-02, 05:00 AM
rs_petty
Visiting Guest
bvgas

I probably should defer to a pro, but my opinion is that the big differences are in the transmissions (the part that drives the chuck) and the clutches (torque variances). The little differences are in things like overall balance, features, and trigger accuracy or feel. The real difference is in being able to drive screws all day/every day. Drilling is probably not that abusive to any of the brands unless your doing steel work with a dull bit. I think when I compared the torque the PC 19.2 was rated at 390 in-lbs and the Ryobi was rated at like 280 in-lbs. This means to me I can either do more work or have a greater margin of capacity (hence less abuse of the tool) with the PC. What I found was that the Ryobi was so much better than what I had, I'm happy - it did what I needed it to do. For my situation I think I will be better off putting a little more money into better quality bits and blades rather than more expensive tools.

Old 01-11-02, 11:13 PM
joeh20
Visiting Guest
cordless power tools

the milwaukee is made by bosch, not to infer poor american-mexican-taiwan-chinese-japanese-or anywhere else that PC/dewalt/ryobi come from, just to let you know the 18 volt milwaukee cordless drill 522-22 is made by bosch in germany, its pricey but its nice. I think they use a better nimh battery in the milwaukee/ ryobi than in the PC or dewalt. My dewalt expierence with their batteries is they use a less durable battery. In their side by side test all batteries are new and the dewalt performs rather well. but after several recharges they have lost most of their punch. they have good power but not much stamina. Dewalt sells alot of replacement charge packs they're everywhere.