Best Tool for the Job

Old 03-07-02, 03:07 PM
Best Tool for the Job

I need to take off possibly up to a 1/4" off a small section of the side of my stairwell in order to fit the wallboard between the side of the stairwell & the studs. What would be the best tool to accomplish this? Would a belt sander be able to do this fairly easily? Would a power planer be better? Or should I resort to some combination of circular saw, hammer & chisel?

How much material in terms of thickness to be removed is considered reasonable to use a belt sander on? When would one use a power palner instead?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-02, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Either one is capable of doing the job, although 1/4" is a fair amount for belt-sanding. Question is which will be able to get into the area in question if there is a clearance problem. The belt sander you can basically hold in one spot if necessary and let the belt do it's thing whereas the planer has to be moved along the surface for it to do its work.

Old 03-10-02, 02:02 PM
Sand the wallboard?

What about sanding the 1/4" off the wallboard?
It would be a lot faster and joint compound covers a lot of mistakes!

Old 03-11-02, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure I would sand drywall that much, but have you considered thinner board or is the thinner stuff still to wide to fit?

Old 03-11-02, 08:05 AM
I'm probably overestimating the amount I'd actually need to take off. More than likely 1/16"-1/8" would be more than adequate. Another option might just be cutting out that small section section of drywall that would have gone between the studs since you will never see it anyway.