loose screw

Old 03-11-02, 06:09 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
loose screw

i've got a benchtop belt sander, and the tracking screw keeps spinning on me. is there anything i can put on the threads to sort of "tighten" it and keep it from moving?? i still want to be able to turn this thing, but it needs to hold it's place once i get it adjusted . . . THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-02, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
arthropod98,
If the screw just spins due to worn out threads on the screw or receiving piece, you might try afew wraps of plumbers tape to help tighten the fit.
fred

Old 03-11-02, 06:55 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
appreciate the response, but i did try that, and it didn't work too well.

this is actually a brand new sander, it's just that this screw isn't snug enough.

i just bought an edge guide for my router, and the screws that came with that had a small dot of SOMETHING on the threads, and it keeps them VERY snug in their holes. it's not blue or red, so i don't THINK it's locktite, but it does work VERY well. any idea what that stuff might be??

Old 03-11-02, 07:30 AM
Well Darn!
I just checked my Delta and it has a bracket and a knob on the screw. Between the bracket and arbor is a spring which keeps the screw taught. Don't know if yours is similar.
Since it's new, if you call the mfg. they should send you a new screw asap. Or, maybe you could tap the threads slightly with a cold chisel???
fred

Old 03-13-02, 06:18 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
yep, i've got that spring in there too (mine's a craftsman), but there's not enough tension on it to keep the screw from spinning.

i think i'll try messing with the threads just a little . . . thanks for the advice!

Old 03-13-02, 01:45 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
Did you try some loctite threadlocker. You can find it any local auto parts stores. It should work well for your application...

Good luck!

Old 03-13-02, 07:22 PM
Chad,
Just wondering. I'm not that familiar with the newer loctite products. Is it permanent, or will Arthropod98 be able to turn the screw to adjust his belt alignment? I haven't used loctite since the late 60's on a beezer motorcycle!! They used to vibrate apart.
fred

Old 03-14-02, 05:17 PM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
No, its not like an epoxy that welds the two together, it will be adjustable with some resistance. Kinda like a nylon coating..

Last edited by chadtoolio; 03-14-02 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-15-02, 06:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There are also varying grades of Loctite: Blue, Red and Green.

Each is for a different purpose and has different removeability characteristics. Red is usually permanent. Green is the most service removable.

I agree with Chad.

Old 03-15-02, 08:41 AM
I agree that there are different grades of Loctite. I use it very often doing industrial maintenance repairs. I disagree that GREEN is service removable. Green is usually for sleeve retaining and is considered permanent. BLUE is usually the color of removable Loctite, and the PURPLE is used on small screws and is also removable.

Color, alone, is not the indicator of grade of Loctite. There are many different grades within each color. Refer to the manufactures instructions with any of the products.

If the wrong one is used, it can still be removed by applying heat from a small torch. If heated to 3 - 400 degrees F, the material will soften and can be removed. Locite is actually a plastic that cures in the absence of air. That's why the bottle is only about half full when you buy it. It it was full, it would harden in the bottle.

Nashcat
Link to Loctite products