planers

Old 03-19-02, 07:14 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
planers

i'm looking to buy a benchtop planer, and it'll be from home depot (yep, got a coupon!). now, they've got a 13" rigid for $397 (model #TP1300LS), and a 12.5" delta for $319 (model #22-565). i've read some good reviews about the delta, but i know basically NOTHING about the rigid, except that it's home depot's brand. can anyone give me any opinions about either of these?? THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-02, 08:42 AM
arthropod98,
I'm not that familiar with the rigid. I have used the Dewalt and I own a Delta 12 1/2 (565). Delta generally does get good reviews in Wood magazine.
What I like about the Delta is the blade replacement. There are two small holes in the blade for quick and easy replacement. No further adjustments necessary.
fred

Old 03-19-02, 08:48 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
thanks for the input! you said you have the delta 525 -- the one comes with the dust collection attachment, right?? that's the one i'm leaning towards right now. i don't see a need to spend the extra $78 for 1/2 inch.

Old 03-19-02, 01:14 PM
arthropod98,
Pardon me, Ihad to go down and look. I have the 560! It was the first model with the cutterhead lock. I do have the dust chute, I believe it was only about 15 bucks or so. Delta' s website now shows the 565 with a stand -that would be a bonus, my 560 came w/o the stand.
Whatever you do, get a model with the locking cutterheads which eliminate snipe(well almost).
fred

Old 03-19-02, 10:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
arthropod98--I own that planer...the ridgid. It is almost exactly like the delta, both have emerson motors on them, both have the same frame. The Ridgid comes with a LIFETIME warranty though, and if you ask me, that's worth a few bucks more. I've warrantied mine with no problems, after putting it through some rough work and one of the feed rollers lost some rubber. Both the delta and ridgid have the locking cutterhead, The ridgid's blades are double-edged, so you get twice the use from one set of knives, and it comes with an extra set too.

Old 03-20-02, 04:42 AM
Hi Cheese,
The Delta planer blades are double edge also, with the alignment pins. Throw 'em in and go.
fred

Old 03-20-02, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Fred, I couldn't remember if the delta had them too. I think the delta blades are a little easier to change too.