Router bit

Old 04-26-02, 04:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Router bit

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is a router bit available that can cut the edges of some hardwood flooring? I had some given to me and the width is not quite right to match up with mine and I need to trim a little off one side to make it right. I checked with Home Depot and they didn't have anything, I did order one from Woodworkers Warehouse but it will only cut the groove or you can set it to cut the top and bottom of the other side making a tongue. I figured there would be something out there that could do the complete edge in one swipe. As it strands now I'll have to also trim it with my tablesaw.....

Old 04-28-02, 07:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: toni1595

As a professional vocational sharpener, I can tell you that there will be a bit to fit your needs. However, the specific bit may not be a commonly used bit, therefore not in stock at all retail stores.

In the phone directory of your area, locate retail stores that sell abrasives supplies. Some welding supply dealers also stock router bits etc. Many privately owned hardware stores also stock router bits or have access to suppliers and can order specific bits from their suppliers as can welding suppliers and abrasive suppliers etc.

Hardwoods are best cut with carbide tipped bits. The final results are higher quality, the task can be completed in one step but the bits are more costly. However, the bits remain sharper longer.

Resharpening of carbide bits are more costly over costs for steel bits. Time wise for sharpening remains the same as does the method used. The machinery is the same too. The only difference is in the cost of the wheels used between steel and carbide.

Sharpeners like myself love to sharpen carbide and titanium bits. I can charge dearly and make huge profits too... in the same amount of time it takes to sharpen steel...

Regards and Good Luck. Sharpening Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.

Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Personal Quotes:
Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 04-28-02, 03:20 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanx Tom for your reply. Yes I am aware of the differences in steels and carbides as I am a machinist by trade among other things... I, like you feel that I will find that router bit in time with a some digging. I've done some searching on the Web and have not as yet come up with anything that suits me but I'll keep looking....By the way what the heck is the "shake and bake state?".

Old 04-28-02, 08:27 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Toni

The "Shake and Bake" state is: California

"Bake" refers to HOT as H***L in the summer months! Deserts!

"Shake" refers to the regions proneness to: EARTHQUAKES!..

Regards,
Tom_B

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: