NiCad Charging

Old 04-10-02, 06:30 PM
tubbytwo
Visiting Guest
NiCad Charging

Is it ok to charge a nicad for half the time one day and the other half the next if it isn't used in between?

Old 04-10-02, 07:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tubbytwo,
It's best to charge a nicad fully, then use it till it is discharged , then fully charge it again. Nicads have an inherent memory problem and will last longer if fully charged.
I believe some of the newer batteries are Nimh, which don't have as bad a memory problem.
fed

Old 04-11-02, 08:43 AM
tubbytwo
Visiting Guest
that's correct......now, can it be charged fully, half at a time?

Old 04-11-02, 10:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Most newer batteries charge in an hour's time.

The two batteries in my Sears (Ryobi) drill driver charge in an hour's time.

I use one and charge the other while I'm working. Then just swap it.

Why not fully charge it all at once so it's ready for use?

Old 04-11-02, 12:09 PM
tubbytwo
Visiting Guest
I could charge my batteries all at once, but that's not my question. I knew when I asked that question I would get alot of suggestions but no REAL ANSWERS.

Old 04-11-02, 01:06 PM
You recieved very good answers. Here's a question for you. How are you to know when a beattery is half charged?? And question two is: what are you going to do with a half charged battery, besides giving it bad memory if you use it?
If you truly want to charge it fully - half at a time, take the suggested full time charge and wait half that long, unplug it, then plug it back in and charge the other half.
fred

Old 04-11-02, 02:02 PM
tubbytwo
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the suggestion FRED.....Is it OK to charge... OK, as in alright, no harm, same as, will work. Does anyone know if stopping a charge for a while then finishing it later is the SAME AS ONE COMPLETE CHARGE? (No discharge in between) A battery needs to be charged for 16 hours because a formula says so.

Good thing I didn't ask if it were ok to overclock a 486 cause I would get "answers" like "why not buy a new computer as cheap as they are, or look for a used one on ebay.

Old 04-11-02, 06:55 PM
I'll put it this way.
If I charge my car battery, boat battery, trolling motor batteries, lawn mower, ATV battery, digital camera batteies, saw battery halfway tonight, and had a way to determine halfway, I'm sure I could charge them the rest of the way tomorrow. All without harming them. But if I charge them just the other half tomorrow, they will probably not be 100 percent charged. Because whenever a battery sits it loses a small degree of charge.
I don't know another way to answer your qestion. I suppose if you want the definitive answer you can call the 800 number on the battery. They will surely be much more help.

Old 04-11-02, 08:32 PM
tedn332
Visiting Guest
I think fewalt has been very patient with your questions and has answered them professionally. Let's be practical, let the thing plugged in and forget it.

Old 04-12-02, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Tubbytwo:

"Yes".

Any other questions?

Old 04-19-02, 11:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Unless you have a charger that measures PERCENT of charge or specific gravity as some automotive chargers do, you are guessing at best.

Most cordless chargers simply turn off when they are done or indicate a green light.

Let me ask the question this way: Why NOT charge them in full each time you do it? What benefit is there to doing it half way? None when the blasted thing craps out in the middle of a job. It's now cost me waiting time waiting for it to ramp up again!

Sure I can charge my car's battery halfway enough to get it started, but now I'm asking the alternator to work very hard to recharge the battery. Not good.

Perhaps we need to understand WHY you want to charge it halfway first. So, why?

Old 04-25-02, 11:13 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
Hey Tubbytwo, yes it will work. But you'll be shortening the life of your battery by doing it that way. As Fewalt said, there is a memory effect on nicads. Even if you don't use them they're still discharging. Your best bet is to charge them full at one time, use them until they're depleted and then charge them again, etc.

There are ways that can be tried to get rid of the memory, but none that are recommended.

Old 04-28-02, 08:57 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: tubbytwo...if your still with us and reading your question.

It is not polite, proper, necessary nor appreciated to scorn those who post replies to your question. The replies offered by all parties are correct and factually based on scientific studies and manufacturer recommendations.

If you do not agree with the postings nor the manufacturers recommendations on the correct proceedures to charge the batteries, then continue to use your method.

To directly answer your question in posting #4 dated 4-11

"Does anyone know if stopping a charge for a while then finishing it later is the SAME AS ONE COMPLETE CHARGE?"

The answer is: NO. Reasons why have been clearly stated.

Regarding the overclocking of your computer, ask that question in the computer forum. And go ahead and overclock it and see what happens when the CPU overheats...

Like the batteries, the performance will suffer in the long run and the life expectancy will be drastically reduced.

And there you have it folks ..."My Two Cents Worth"...

Forum Host... Watchdog... & Moderator...
Tom_B

Note To Joe:
Send me a PM. Need to chat some once again....

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-28-02 at 09:15 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: