Stone Flatening

Old 05-21-02, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Stone Flatening

I was sharpening a chisel the other day and when I held a straight edge across my whet stone I observed that it has worn slightly concave. What is the proper way to flatten a Japanese water stone? Can I do it with wetordry sandpaper cemented to a glass plate? If so, what grit paper should I use?

Old 05-21-02, 06:52 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello thiggy and Welcome to my Sharpening forum.

Best method is to use a diamond tipped straight edged tool designed specifically for this purpose. The other method is to use a shapening stone designed for this purpose.

Both types should be available at better local hardware stores. Most welding supply stores and abrasive products supply dealers also carry these items.

Since we due sharpening commerically, we invest in the diamond wheel tool. However, truing up the wheel by hand can be done with a little practice & patients.

Be sure to do this proceedure slowly and carefully. Sharpening wheels and shaping stones have been known to break apart unexpectedly and when they do they can cause serious injuries.

Regards and Good Luck.
Sharpening Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Service.

Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."...

Old 05-22-02, 05:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face

Thanks for your response, but I was not refering to a sharpening wheel, but a rectangular Japanese water stone.

Old 05-22-02, 07:45 AM
glawson
Visiting Guest
Hi their are 2 ways of redress a stone, correct way is using a lapping plate with grit in it, and keep rubbing till it is flat.
The second way which might work, but cant gaurentee it is, to get some wet and dry paper(400 grit) and a thick piece of glass, say 1/4" and laying the paper on the glass and rubbing the face of your stone on it, make sure you keep the paper wet with water.
Hopefully the fine wet and dry paper(400grit ) will have enough bite to cut the stone down.
Take care
Garry.

P.S. I repair motorcycles from time to time, and swear but the 1/4 glass plate to dress the cylinder heads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: