Sears Impact Wrench

Old 06-13-02, 09:45 PM
dancad
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Sears Impact Wrench

I have a small Sears impact wrench that I run off my compressor.

While rotating my tires, the wrench just stopped turning and did nothing but pass air.

Can this be fixed or pitched ?

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-02, 01:36 AM
Group Moderator
We've got one of their big 3/4" ones for doing tires and it locked up a couple of times. Just had to do a partial disassembly and get a liberal amount of air tool oil in it to free it up. Make sure you keep yours lubed (add some oil at the end of a use session). Also a water separator in the air line is a good idea.

Old 06-15-02, 04:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with Tow Guy who gave you some sound advice (as usual). Use air tool oil NOT motor oil which will gum up the works. Home Depot or Sears both sell air tool oil.

There's not a whole lot to go wrong in an air tool.

You can also go to the Sears website at www.sears.com then click "parts". Plug in your model # and you'll see an exploded view of your tool. You can buy any parts you need through them.

Some Sears air tools are Chicago Pneumatic. I believe the better ones are Florida Pneumatic (who also makes the Home Depot Husky line) and some better Sears ones are Ingersoll Rand. I believe the IR ones are marketed as the Craftsman Professional line.

I fixed a Snap On air rachet (a 300 dollar item) that I found in the street under a snow bank by simply disassembling it at work, cleaning it, and lubing it back up. I changed one O-ring (40 cents at the hardware store) and I was good to go. A 300 dollar top notch item for free! Snapon even sent me the owner's guide and parts breakdown simply by me requesting it of them. Came wih a 9/16 Craftsman socket stuck on there which I just swapped back to Sears with their lifetime warranty.

Couldn't beat it with a stick

Good luck and let us know.

Old 06-16-02, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
So THAT"S where my air ratchet went; must have fallen off the truck last time I was driving through NY.

Old 06-16-02, 12:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cool

Lol. When was that? 1982? Lol

Old 06-17-02, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Ahhh, actually I've never driven through NY; my one and only visit to the state was an excercise at Griffiss AFB in Rome c.1974 (giving lessons to the USAF).

Old 06-18-02, 12:42 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. I was 3 in 1974