Miter Saws

Old 06-16-02, 09:13 PM
Miter Saws

Any experience with the"cheaper" end miter saws eg. the Ryobi or Delta's. I'm just your average weekend warrior and would prefer not to spend several hundred for something that I won't use that often. I've seen a Ryobi & Delta both for around $100. Any thoughts?

I know Ryobi stuff is not considered "high end" but I recently bought a Ryobi combo 18v cordless drill, circular saw, etc & found they performed admirably for my basement "project" (framing several new walls,etc). So in this light - being that I'm not a professional who needs it day in & day out - any recommendations? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-02, 03:11 AM
Hi bvgas,

By 'cheaper' I assume you mean smaller, less expensive.
Delta is generally a quality tool. Less expensive is usually a smaller motor and blade and possibly not a compund miter saw. If there is the possibility of compound cuts, you may want to go with a slightly better model. And of course the very high end saws (with slide) will cut larger stock. Don't rule out a Craftsman.

fred

PS = I've got the Ryobi combo also, and their drill press. So far so good!

Old 06-17-02, 04:26 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
i've got a delta compound miter, and i LOVE that thing! sorry, can't remember what i paid for it, but i picked it up at lowe's, and it wasn't terribly expensive. the thing i really like is that it really LOCKS in your setting -- no wobbly whatsoever.

Old 06-18-02, 11:21 AM
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
With a $100 budget, value is relative. A good blade alone will set you back a min $40.
Lower the CMS blade down to its cutting position. Push against the blade along its rotational axis with your finger. See that blade move in the Delta (ie: Delta is not known for CMSs. Although the Unisaw is considered among the best). The same result is on the 10 Ridgid CMS.
Other factors: Is the fence straight/square. Is the table/extensions flat. The miter scale design and operation. The Horiz D-handle.
I picked the 10 DeWalt 703.

Old 06-18-02, 12:04 PM
One of my favorite tool stores is a local pawn shop. I have gotten some good deals on tools there. I got a $600 Dewalt Slide Mitre saw for $250. Just be sure of the brands that you are looking at. After all, it's a method blessed by Norm Abrams, so can it really be bad.

Old 06-18-02, 02:52 PM
Norm's my HERO.

'Ceptin' he gets his tools for free, wouldn't that be nice.

fred

Old 06-18-02, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback

Old 06-21-02, 10:03 AM
fewalt

I saw him at an opening several years ago of a Hechinger Home Center. He said one day he was waiting a truck to bring him a small package. When the truck arrived, not only did it have the package he was waiting for, but it also had a honkin big bandsaw (the one he uses for resawing) that the maufactuer had just sent him out of the blue.

But really, who needs 20+ routers??

Old 06-22-02, 06:02 AM
chadtoolio
Visiting Guest
I agree with the pawn shop idea, you can find some really good deals on quality equipment and check them out before you take them...

I bought a 10" compound miter saw(craftsman) for $45 and a good Freud blade another $40.

Works beautifully..

Good luck

Old 07-04-02, 06:49 AM
I put in a deck on my pool last year, so I used that for a excuse to buy a Delta 12" Sidekick mitersaw. It is a great saw and I'm glade I spent the extra money on it.