Miter Saw Versus Table Saw

Old 07-01-02, 02:08 PM
Miter Saw Versus Table Saw

For your general doityourselfer which do you think would be more useful - A miter saw or Table saw?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-02, 05:23 PM
They're used for different purposes. The miter saw is great for cutting dimensional lumber (2x4s, 1x8's, etc), mouldings, etc. The table saw is good for large sheets of plywood, or ripping long sections of lumber. From my experience, the miter saw might be handier. I bought a radial arm saw (bigger than a miter saw, but same idea) years ago. I used it for many probjects. I used a poratable skill saw for cutting plywood and large sheets. Only recently (thanks Santa!) did I get a table saw.

Old 07-01-02, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
If I absolutely had to pick one or the other, my table saw would win hands down (until I could beg, borrow, steal, or buy a miter saw too). A table saw will basically do everything a miter saw will do and then some (like ripping, dadoing, etc), but a miter saw will not do everything a table saw will.

Old 07-01-02, 05:58 PM
I have to agree with the_tow_guy. As a working furniture repairman/refinisher, I couldn't live without my table saw. With the addition of a few jigs (mostly home built) I'm able to make almost any cut I want, including compound miters.

Table saw wins easily - most versatility for the money.

Old 07-01-02, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys

The point the_tow_guy made about a table saw being able to do everything a miter saw can do but not the reverse was what got me wondering about my question in the first place.

Old 07-02-02, 03:42 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
just to throw in my 2 cents -- i'd say the table saw too . . . definitely more versatile.

one thing to watch for though -- i've got a delta, which i really like, but it's got a funky "non-standard" slot for the miter gauge, and that just stinks. didn't really know anything about all this till AFTER i purchased and used the thing, but it makes it nearly impossible to buy a better mitre gauge. so, i'd try to get one with a more "standard" setup.

Old 07-02-02, 07:13 AM
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
The table saw gets the vote, but at a diff price range.
A good CMS will cost some $300 while a TS will start at $500 (the Grizzly 1022pro is a good place to start).
Good luck.

Old 07-02-02, 07:27 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
to: GasGuzz . . . slightly off-topic

sorry to go a little off-topic, but GasGuzz mentioned something i've been VERY curious about, and that's GRIZZLY. i've been really curious about the quality of their larger power tools (bandsaw in particular), because the prices are definitely lower than normal, and they seem to have some great sales too.

do you happen to own a few of their larger power tools?? and, what do you think of 'em??

thanks in advance!!

Old 07-02-02, 08:08 AM
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
Woodworking tools fall into the most basic tool operating principles (they're only "better" than hand their counterparts).
My only Grizz is the G10022Pro TS (in my garage at $600). Feature for feature entries from Delta/Jet would be at $200 more. And since I'm not into Thomasville/Broyhill woodworking (which I'd rather buy), the Grizz fits the weekend hobby.
Haven't taken a deeper look at bandsaws, I place the Grizzly in the wouldn't-hurt variety FWIW (Harbor Freight definitely not a choice I would make).
Right now I'm contemplating a bench drill press. Considering it's merely a chuck traversing a rail square against a table, I'm considering a Delta (mainly because I prefer a local vendor).
Good luck.

Old 07-02-02, 08:12 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
GasGuzz, appreciate the feedback.

i bought the delta 12" drill press from home depot (i'm thinking it was around $175), and it's GREAT!! also, in maryland right now, it's no interest for a year.

i've got that monster mounted right on my workbench, and i'm VERY pleased with it -- nice and quiet too, and it's got plenty of power!

Old 07-02-02, 08:20 AM
GasGuzz
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Arth.
Yah, I'm of the same thinking on HD/Lowes for the till July-03 0% interest.

Old 07-02-02, 06:30 PM
arthropod98,

About your Delta miter gauge - I noticed the same problem years ago. But that 'lil saw went to my neighbor when I got my Delta Contractor saw with standard slot. Love my Delta!

The Grizz tools usually rate okay by Wood Mag, but the Deltas consistently rate higher.

fred

Old 07-03-02, 03:26 AM
arthropod98
Visiting Guest
yeah, at some point i'll be replacing that delta, but it really does just FINE right now. basically, it's worth the $140 or so i paid for it (stand included).

i really DO like delta tools though, and i've had great luck with them -- let's see, i've got the 12" drill press, 12.5" planer, and sharpening center -- all are functioning just FINE.

the only delta i wasn't happy about was their lathe. i ended up buying the craftsman model, and people can say what they want, but i've had NOTHING but great luck with their tools too! delta's duplicator was about $500 (about the same cost of the lathe!), and the craftsman was about $200, and it's NICE too . . . just put that together last night.

heh-heh -- tools are GREAT!!