air compressor settings

Old 06-28-02, 08:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
air compressor settings

I have a 2 hp Puma air compressor. 20 something gal tank ( I think ). When I set it the out side to 40 lbs and start to spray, the pressure drops to 10 lbs. It looks like there ar two control pressure controls on the main box on top of the compressor. I know one sets the cut-off pressure. Is the other one the cut-on control or is does it have something to do with the out pressure?

If I hold spray trigger down then set the out pressure to 40lbs and wait, it seems to go higher on its own with the trigger released. Do I have control valve problems?

Old 06-29-02, 12:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hi Boman!

I don't know exactly what setup you have, but the last control knob on the line should be the pressure regulator for your pressure in the hose. If it doesn't hold steady, it is probably bad. Depending on how it is made, you may be able to replace it seperately, or if not, you could set it all the way at the highest setting, and install a new regulator at your hose connection.

Someone else may have a better suggestion. Good luck with it.

Old 06-29-02, 03:36 AM
Hey Cheese

You are right, the last one is th epressure in the hose control. It does got o a higher setting than the one I set it on. Not sure if that valve is bad or if it is the other one (tank pressure regulator ). . I wonder if one is leaking into the other. Hmm, that may be out since it goes down to about 10 lbs in the hose when I press the trigger to spray. This thing sat idle for quite a long time, and I never noticed this before. I sprayed my ceilings with it and did a fairly good job. I do remember it seems like ma have been trying to do this then. Like I might have had to wait a few sec's to let the pressure build up spraying the ceilings.

May be why I got it so cheap at a yard sale. Heheh, does fine inflating things.

Tx for the reply

Old 07-01-02, 10:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You should be able to service it or get parts for it. I can't think that Puma is anything out of the ordinary. Probably uses industrial standard type parts.

My friend had a Puma like that and he said it was a workhorse. My Craftsman is a DeVilbiss in disguise based on the model #.

Old 07-07-02, 05:25 AM
update

Got messing with the adjusting screws on this thing and I think I have gotten to where I can use it for spraying. The instructions were in the top of the cover for the adjusting screws. I can now set it to spray at 40 lbs and it only goes up about 10 lbs above that when I release the trigger. It then sprays at 40 lbs constantly without lgoing below 40. Changing the cut-in and cut-out made all the difference. The two screws for the settings? One sets the cut-in and cut-out pressure for the tank. The other sets the cut-out pressure without affecting the cut-in, or maybe that is the hose pressure. Heheh, I will have to look again to make sure I am telling that right.
I set it on about 80 cut-out, about 45 cut-in with 40 lbs hose pressure. I always pull the plug on it when I am through with it. If it has 80 lbs in it when I unplug it, it will pretty much have 80 in it when I go back to it the next day. Only one I have had that didn't leak down over night. Think I'm going to put a switch on it so I don't have to reach over and pull the plug everytime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: